Travel advice -

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
salsa

Re: Travel advice -

Post by salsa »

Sorrel wrote:You could be fine with Dartford on reallocation; no-one seems to know what the score dropped to after the first round last year. I see why you would want it. I'm putting Judd as first choice, even though something freaky would have to happen for the ooc cut off to get down to 383 - but hey, freaky things might happen and I'd be kicking myself then if I didn't put it down. It wins out over Skinners just for travel time - 20 min train, 5-7 min walk.
Yes, I agree. However, there were only 3 appeals upheld at Dartford Grammar last year which meant that there was movement after appeals. The school is not over PAN this year as it has been for the past few years.

Have faith!

Salsa
liceo_classico

Post by liceo_classico »

salsa wrote:The latest train your son could get to Dartford from London Bridge would be the 7:48 which arrives at 8:26. There is a 10-15 minute walk to the school, quicker if you know the shortcuts. He's got to be in his form room by 8:40
The trains normally run on time and going against traffic there are always seats for the children.

The connexions from London Bridge to Bexleyheath do not seem great. A lot of children go to Dartford and then loop back to Bexleyheath. I can see that there is a train at 8:07 arriving at 8:33, but not sure how long it would be from the station to the school, which would probably make your child take the 7:33 to be on the safe side, but this would arrive very early at 8:04. Beths also start at 8:40.

Best of luck!

Salsa
Hi Salsa! we took the overground to New Cross and then the train for Beths. A very easy commute and so was Chis & Sid. Wallington even better. Overground to Croydon and then the bus that leaves you at the door. We had tried and tested all of them by public transport to be sure the trip was doable when going to the open days.
I read in a previous post that you have kids at Dartford Grammar. You are so lucky to have them study in such an amazing place. We fell in love with the school.
liceo_classico

Post by liceo_classico »

Sorrel wrote:You could be fine with Dartford on reallocation; no-one seems to know what the score dropped to after the first round last year. I see why you would want it. I'm putting Judd as first choice, even though something freaky would have to happen for the ooc cut off to get down to 383 - but hey, freaky things might happen and I'd be kicking myself then if I didn't put it down. It wins out over Skinners just for travel time - 20 min train, 5-7 min walk.
yes exactly. for us is "the school" so giving it a chance. Judd would be closer too (Tonbridge is 10 min less of train and they leave from LB too alternating to the TW's one) but points wise we are quite short. For that very reason we didn't visit the school.
This whole experience has been quite a ride! so different to any school system I have been exposed to! Quite curious to see which school my DS would end up going to
salsa

Post by salsa »

Hi
And I hope your child gets in. It is truly an international school and it would be suitable for your son. I would definitely appeal and put all that. However, there were about 150 appeals last year!

I am very glad that you have done the journeys yourself. I did them too and if a journey was difficult, even if closer, I wouldn't put the school in our list.

Yes, we are very happy to have both boys at the school, and I will be happy to provide any information about the school.

Salsa
liceo_classico

Post by liceo_classico »

salsa wrote:Hi
And I hope your child gets in. It is truly an international school and it would be suitable for your son. I would definitely appeal and put all that. However, there were about 150 appeals last year!

I am very glad that you have done the journeys yourself. I did them too and if a journey was difficult, even if closer, I wouldn't put the school in our list.

Yes, we are very happy to have both boys at the school, and I will be happy to provide any information about the school.

Salsa
My idea is to start reading the appeals thread to gather information and understand the whole process. The idea to put it first is also to have a stronger case and see what happens. But will also depends on the final answer March 1st. It could well be that my DS likes the school he's been assigned and he prefers to settle there. Thank you again for taking the time to write and share the information. It's been truly valuable!
salsa

Post by salsa »

liceo_classico wrote:
salsa wrote:Hi

Salsa
My idea is to start reading the appeals thread to gather information and understand the whole process. The idea to put it first is also to have a stronger case and see what happens. But will also depends on the final answer March 1st. It could well be that my DS likes the school he's been assigned and he prefers to settle there. Thank you again for taking the time to write and share the information. It's been truly valuable!
That sounds like a plan. Although I am not sure the panel members, who are independent to the school, get to know the order on the CAF.

Salsa
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now