Bexley Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Anand76

Bexley Grammar

Post by Anand76 »

My daughter got 235 and we are out of catchment area of Bexley? We are ready to move to Bexley if my daughter gets selected. Please advise which school should we apply for?
Catjellycat

Re: Bexley Grammar

Post by Catjellycat »

It depends how out of borough you are and when you intend to move. I understand Townley has the greatest distance offered traditionally but that, of course, may not be the case this year.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I think your answers are already on this thread you posted here about Bexley grammars (I see you’ve also posted to Kent and to Medway) here, if you can explain what wasn’t answered there, give us some more information about your DC, we can give it a go and try and provide further information https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 51&t=52698" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
salsa

Post by salsa »

PettswoodFiona wrote:I think your answers are already on this thread you posted here about Bexley grammars (I see you’ve also posted to Kent and to Medway) here, if you can explain what wasn’t answered there, give us some more information about your DC, we can give it a go and try and provide further information https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 51&t=52698" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The OP had said previously that they live in Houslow, which would be 34 odd miles from Townley which is the school that has offered to all who applied before.

I know that the OP has said that they would move if offered, but does anyone know if Townley would have offered 34 miles before?

Salsa
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Good question Salsa. I seem to remember a thread from either last year or the year before and someone wasn’t offered as they were north of the river and the ‘safe walking route’ (Townley isn’t just on as the crow flies distance) just didn’t seem to work with the school, however we only heard one side of the story. Best thing OP is toe call the school admissions and ask.
salsa

Post by salsa »

PettswoodFiona wrote:Good question Salsa. I seem to remember a thread from either last year or the year before and someone wasn’t offered as they were north of the river and the ‘safe walking route’ (Townley isn’t just on as the crow flies distance) just didn’t seem to work with the school, however we only heard one side of the story. Best thing OP is toe call the school admissions and ask.
Yes, I remember that, they were near Mile End. Although the school said that they offered to all, they didn't offer to this girl. We only heard it from a friend of the poster.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... t=+townley" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Salsa
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

salsa wrote:
PettswoodFiona wrote:Good question Salsa. I seem to remember a thread from either last year or the year before and someone wasn’t offered as they were north of the river and the ‘safe walking route’ (Townley isn’t just on as the crow flies distance) just didn’t seem to work with the school, however we only heard one side of the story. Best thing OP is toe call the school admissions and ask.
Yes, I remember that, they were near Mile End. Although the school said that they offered to all, they didn't offer to this girl. We only heard it from a friend of the poster.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... t=+townley" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Salsa
I remember that one, I probably mused as to whether the safe walking route would use the Greenwich Foot Tunnel, or would she be expected to walk through the Rotherhithe Tunnel? Surely, if the girl had a pass score, the actual distance would not matter if the school had a place available? I don't think the policy says, Category 36: On distance, but only up to x miles, does it?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Quite Salsa. I have come across a few instances in the last few years where families have said they’ve passed to relatives as that is more convenient, but the reality hasn’t been the same. In one instance they claimed they liked the comp more, on the other, they were too distant. Situations like the latter are understandable but do cause general confusion and mis-information. We of course don’t know the full story behind the mile-end scenario which is probably unique in itself. Hopefully all will become clearer.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Yes, especially with these FOI spreadsheets with everybody’s results. If you know those of a few friends, then it’s not that difficult to work out some others.
One of my children had such a child in his class. He kept saying that he was going to different schools, maybe the parents were appealing and he misunderstood. In the end he’s somewhere very different to the schools he quoted. Still, he’s a bright boy who was expected to pass, but we can all have a bad day. I’m sure he’ll do well where he is, which is an outstanding comprehensive.

Salsa
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Yes, DS2's year had one of those as well

-she got just under the cutoff
- she got just under the cutoff but the consortium would let her go to grammar school anyway because they lived just round the corner from one of them (that last bit, at least, was true)
- she actually did quite well, but despite the fact that they lived just round the corner from one of the girls' grammars (and this was a girl who was not allowed to come out for a birthday tea with us, because DS was a boy), she was going to go to one of the worst, and mixed, schools in the Borough, a mile away, to keep her friends company :roll: . That one actually happened.

Tell the truth and shame the Devil, was my mum's motto...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now