'Syllabus For Kent 11+ Maths

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
The Lamp Post

'Syllabus For Kent 11+ Maths

Post by The Lamp Post »

Does anyone know if there is a syllabus for the Kent 11+ Maths, is it closely alligned to KS2 Year 6 content
Louise23

Re: 'Syllabus For Kent 11+ Maths

Post by Louise23 »

Hi
My understanding is that there should be nothing on there beyond the key stage 2 curriculum. Kent actually state that the Maths test will cover topics taught in most schools up to the start of Year 6. There will of course be more challenging problem solving questions but these should still be reliant on using skills taught at KS2. I prepped my own son for the test and did not use a tutor ( although I am a teacher). He has natural ability in Maths so didnt do too much practice but we used the usual variety of practice papers to help with test technique and familiarisation with question types. This website is very helpful as are many others in terms of info regarding content. Hope this helps.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Louise23 wrote:Hi
My understanding is that there should be nothing on there beyond the key stage 2 curriculum. Kent actually state that the Maths test will cover topics taught in most schools up to the start of Year 6. There will of course be more challenging problem solving questions but these should still be reliant on using skills taught at KS2. I prepped my own son for the test and did not use a tutor ( although I am a teacher). He has natural ability in Maths so didnt do too much practice but we used the usual variety of practice papers to help with test technique and familiarisation with question types. This website is very helpful as are many others in terms of info regarding content. Hope this helps.
That is supposed to be the case. However, is algebra covered as at the first week of September when the test takes place?
My son did cover it at school, but I hear some didn't. Not sure if they all should?

Salsa
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'll not seen a single question where it needed algebra. The Year 6 algebra content in the NC is minimal - no equations for example.
FortyNinePence

Post by FortyNinePence »

salsa wrote:
That is supposed to be the case. However, is algebra covered as at the first week of September when the test takes place?
My son did cover it at school, but I hear some didn't. Not sure if they all should?

Salsa
A really good point, and somewhat contentious. Top sets only in my children’s school covered algebra and ratios in detail - so one child had it before 11+ and one didn’t. Do check what will be covered at your school during Y5.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

You may find this useful

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... e-of-study" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
salsa

Post by salsa »

FortyNinePence wrote:
salsa wrote:

Salsa
A really good point, and somewhat contentious. Top sets only in my children’s school covered algebra and ratios in detail - so one child had it before 11+ and one didn’t. Do check what will be covered at your school during Y5.
Most parents cover the whole syllabus until the end of year 6 to be on the safe side! That's what we did.

Salsa
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

In year 6 we cover simple equations, substituting values into equations and deriving simple expressions like 2a - b
Louise23

Post by Louise23 »

I agree Salsa. Best to cover the whole syllabus.
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

My daughter said there was an algebra question in her test (GL) this year although (in her words) it was "easy".
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now