Travel options from harrow to DCHS/Becky High

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sang

Travel options from harrow to DCHS/Becky High

Post by sang »

Hi all

We live in harrow and were considering applying for DCHS and BHS for our DD.

The problem is that there is a very convenient and relatively short commute from our place to DCHS, but based on previous year's results we are unlikely to be offered a place.

With regards to BHS, we are in with a good chance for a place but the commute by public transport is a nightmare.

Does anyone have any info on availability of buses/car pool from Harrow to BHS?

Any help is much appreciated.

Regards
Guest55

Re: Travel options from harrow to DCHS/Becky High

Post by Guest55 »

Why not pick a school nearer home? There are some good schools in Harrow.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

sang wrote:We live in harrow and were considering applying for DCHS and BHS for our DD.

The problem is that there is a very convenient and relatively short commute from our place to DCHS, but based on previous year's results we are unlikely to be offered a place.

With regards to BHS, we are in with a good chance for a place but the commute by public transport is a nightmare.
I really think you need to check the distances you are working with. I have just plotted the widest past allocation distances for the schools, and they are both very marginal for Harrow.

I strongly recommend that you check it for yourself, using the schools' postcodes, this tool https://www.freemaptools.com/radius-fro ... stcode.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and the distances, which are:

Becky High HP9 1RR 11.787 miles (2017 second round)
DCHS HP7 9NR 10.997 miles (2016 second round)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I would discount DCHS based on previous years. I don't imagine there are buses from Harrow to BHS as you would be very lucky if you got a place there either. If you did, train from Greenford or West Ruislip would be the best route.
scary mum
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

As I love playing with freemaptools, here you are:

https://www.freemaptools.com/radius-aro ... FF&fs=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11plusparents

Post by 11plusparents »

If you would like to get the accurate distance from your home to the schools, use the bucks website link.

https://services.buckscc.gov.uk/school- ... ns/nearest" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Put your post code and select your address. It will say you are outside of bucks. Then click continue, it will show you all the secondary school distances from your home.
sang

Post by sang »

Sally-Anne wrote:
sang wrote:We live in harrow and were considering applying for DCHS and BHS for our DD.

I really think you need to check the distances you are working with. I have just plotted the widest past allocation distances for the schools, and they are both very marginal for Harrow.

I strongly recommend that you check it for yourself, using the schools' postcodes, this tool https://www.freemaptools.com/radius-fro ... stcode.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and the distances, which are:

Becky High HP9 1RR 11.787 miles (2017 second round)
DCHS HP7 9NR 10.997 miles (2016 second round)
No need for the tool, bucks secondary school site is excellent, does all the work for you, just enter your postcode. I've based my post on their feedback. It also gives last year's closing offer distances.

Regards
sang

Post by sang »

scary mum wrote:I would discount DCHS based on previous years. I don't imagine there are buses from Harrow to BHS as you would be very lucky if you got a place there either. If you did, train from Greenford or West Ruislip would be the best route.

Agree on DCHS, but we are very close on distance to BHS, and it mentions that there will be 180 seats for 2018, up from 2017, which makes me hopeful.

Regards
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Both are very unlikely; I hope you have a plan C.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

As far as I know, there are no private coaches from Harrow to Beaconsfield. There may be private car shares in operation but have a look at other posts to see the substantial risks involved with car sharing. It simply isn't a workable long term solution unless you are extremely fortunate in your choice of partner. I don't understand why parents go to such lengths to secure what they believe to be the most appropriate school for their most precious loved ones, yet are happy to bundle them into a car with virtual strangers for hours every other week. It's very odd.

I'd abandon any plans for BHS. You may wish to take a chance and put DCHS on the CAF because the commute is straightforward, but make sure you have an option below it that you'd be happy with and are certain to be allocated.
Last edited by anotherdad on Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now