CAF ranking advice

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
dsme

Re: CAF ranking advice

Post by dsme »

Thanks neo1232 ,
That is good idea and I will check regarding the past appeals and see their success rate as I am worried that I may loose another slot on CAF.

Given where we are if I put following order on the CAF ( well aware of we being Band B on HBS)
1) HBS
2) DCGH (in Bucks)
3) Beaconsfield High School
4) Colchester Country High School

Will I get equal preference for no 4 and be allocated a place at 4, if top three refuse to allocate me a place ? My DD is in the green zone for Colchester. Will it be better to put local comprehensive as 4th option or will we be safe by putting Colchester at 4th ?

I have no ideas about the process so looking for your expert advices.

Thanks for your patience
With best Regards
neo1232

Post by neo1232 »

Will I get equal preference for no 4 and be allocated a place at 4, if top three refuse to allocate me a place ?

Yes

Will it be better to put local comprehensive as 4th option or will we be safe by putting Colchester at 4th ?
1) Main question is whether you really going to move although way from Watford to Colchester - did you like that area ? did you visit school ?
2) 240+ is good score for SCD in Watford - did you check that school? or parmiter's school? I do not think they have same criteria like Watford Grammar for 20 mile rule , I guess it will be your better bet compare to local comprehensive.
HertsMum03

Post by HertsMum03 »

Hello,

Just to add with regard to WGGS, we did not know about the rule for Watford Boys and filled in the SIF for the school. We own a house in Harrow but purchased a house in Watford and moved here 3 years back. The school responded saying they would use our other address unless we had evidence showing we did not live in the house over the last 5 years (a bit harsh I felt as DS and his siblings are going to local Watford schools). If you have evidence you did not live in that home over the last 5 years (we had tenancy agreements for the Harrow house), you can still apply.

However, the school will ask for the evidence so I suggest you get the SIF in now and see their response first.
dsme

Post by dsme »

Thanks Herts Mum03,
We were living in the house before 1.5 years (prior to move) so I am not sure if they will accept it :-( ..

Thanks neo1232 ,, Appreciate very much ..we are only looking for Girls only school so did not check Parmitters or SCD .

My biggest worry is "Colchester Country High School" if we do not get there then we will be allocated somewhere which we do not know ? Colchester we have visited yes , its just a bit far from where we are. For any of the schools yes we will move eventually.

Thanks and best regards
dsme
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

dsme wrote:Thanks Herts Mum03,
We were living in the house before 1.5 years (prior to move) so I am not sure if they will accept it :-( ..

Thanks neo1232 ,, Appreciate very much ..we are only looking for Girls only school so did not check Parmitters or SCD .

My biggest worry is "Colchester Country High School" if we do not get there then we will be allocated somewhere which we do not know ? Colchester we have visited yes , its just a bit far from where we are. For any of the schools yes we will move eventually.

Thanks and best regards
dsme
'Move eventually'? How long would you consider making your DD travel from Watford to ColCHS, should that be the school she was allocated on March 1st?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
neo1232

Post by neo1232 »

Are you sure it is 10.5 miles? Remember they use starlight line distance not driving distance. What is first line of postcode ? WD18 etc.
dsme

Post by dsme »

Thanks neo1232 The first Line of postcode is WD180

If we are allocated our fourth choice (Colchester), Yes we will move to Colchester during summer holidays next year.

Regards
neo1232

Post by neo1232 »

dsme

if I would in your place - I would have fight for Watford Girls I am assuming that you really like that school

* Put that school next to HBS
* fill up SIF form - provide circumstance and proof to school that you have no connection with old address any more and you are only keeping it for investment purpose
* I am sure they will reach out to you and heard your story before they make final judgement
* let them reject your chance , if they decide to not give admission , you are not going to lose your chance for other school because of Equal preference system
Hera

Post by Hera »

The 5 year rule is to deter parents who make a temporary move and then move back to an old address. Have you spoken to the WGGS admissions officer? I would imagine that if you can provide evidence of children attending Watford primary schools and that your old house is rented out there is a high probability that would be enough. If you own a house in Watford I would think that would make your case stronger. It is a new rule so the schools will be slightly uncertain about how will will pan out.
neo1232

Post by neo1232 »

Did you also check how many option you have in CAF form ?

for my local county - I was always on impression that I have only 4 choice but then pleasantly find they have 6 option .. We have never plan for 6 option so we have decided to keep 2 blank but in your case it may help.