Coventry to Birmingham schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Nunu

Coventry to Birmingham schools

Post by Nunu »

Hello everyone ,
Anyone from Coventry applying or have listed King Edward camp hill girls and KE handsworth for boys as their first choice . This is for my friends twin children . Just wanted to check the travel options in case they get the place .
Regards
Nunu
quasimodo

Re: Coventry to Birmingham schools

Post by quasimodo »

Nunu wrote:Hello everyone ,
Anyone from Coventry applying or have listed King Edward camp hill girls and KE handsworth for boys as their first choice . This is for my friends twin children . Just wanted to check the travel options in case they get the place .
Regards
Nunu
Car, train and bus I would have thought.

Car to train station for drop off and pick up.

The Birmingham New Street train to London Euston runs through Coventry.There are numerous trains.As its a relatively short journey this wont matter much but for the longer journeys the Virgin services are quicker but the tickets more expensive.The London Midland services are cheaper but the journeys much longer.

Then local buses to the individual schools.

Recently have been on trains to London from Birmingham Moor Street with Chiltern Railways not sure this stops at Coventry you will need to check yourself.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
sphynx

Post by sphynx »

I rejected B'ham schools because the journey seemed nightmarish especially in winter from Coventry.
solimum

Post by solimum »

quasimodo wrote:
Recently have been on trains to London from Birmingham Moor Street with Chiltern Railways not sure this stops at Coventry you will need to check yourself.
No the Chiltern trains go through Leamington/ Warwick / Solihull.

The "number 50" bus goes from the centre of Birmingham down to Kings Heath
um

Post by um »

In fairness the number 50 bus is stuck in gridlock traffic at rush hour and takes longer and longer to get into and out of Kings Heath now. I thought I should point that out!

There has been talk of opening the station near Camp Hill again (Andy Street did promise this in his mayoral campaign) which would help a lot, but like many such projects - it may not be finished until your child leaves! There's a freight line there at present and passenger trains did once run there.

One of my children at CH knows a child who travels daily from Coventry - a small number of children do, so your child would not be the only one.
However even they admit it's not an easy commute, especially in winter.
solimum

Post by solimum »

um wrote:
There has been talk of opening the station near Camp Hill again (Andy Street did promise this in his mayoral campaign) which would help a lot, but like many such projects - it may not be finished until your child leaves! There's a freight line there at present and passenger trains did once run there.
Yes there was talk of that when my DS2 was there and he left (gulp!) 10 years ago - so frustrating to see the trains passing the back of the school grounds....

(PS - this was for 6th form only and was a journey of up to an hour on public transport for us, or 25-35 mins in the car through the back lanes which was useful 17+ driving practice when convenient and when taking large musical instruments . But I - and DH in particular - would not have inflicted that on an 11-year old - and it makes involvement in other school activities - music, shows etc - far more onerous)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now