Non selective independant schools North Birmingham

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
thirdtimemum

Non selective independant schools North Birmingham

Post by thirdtimemum »

Does anyone have any experience with any of the independant schools in the north Birmingham area? In particular Highclare and Hydesville?
quasimodo

Re: Non selective independant schools North Birmingham

Post by quasimodo »

thirdtimemum wrote:Does anyone have any experience with any of the independant schools in the north Birmingham area? In particular Highclare and Hydesville?
Hydesville is the other private school in Walsall and unlike Mayfield Prep takes children to the age of 16.Where it loses out is that a number of children take the 11 plus and then leave the school.Therefore children who join or stay on have not passed the 11 plus or decided not to take it for their own reasons.It has for a number of years with a small number of children in each year produced the third best GCSE results in Walsall (the first two being the two grammar schools ) .My elder brothers daughter and son attended the school over 20 and 14 years ago.The daughter left there at 11 to attend QM girls and the son didn't pass his 11 plus but left at 16 to join QM girls in their mixed form to do his A levels following good GCSE results at Hydesville.Each had a happy time at the school. What you are after is the schools SEN performance which I know little about.The schools head of the senior school is a nice lady and would be able to advise you upon any issues.Children from Mayfield where they have not got grammar school places do apply to the school and some get music or drama scholarships which knocks off a little bit from the fees and some then attend the school.

Have you looked at EHS in Edgbaston ? I am aware they have looked after girls with sen issues well.

I don't really know about Highclare.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
thirdtimemum

Re: Non selective independant schools North Birmingham

Post by thirdtimemum »

Thanks quasimodo. EHS is too far away for us with no school bus. I do not want DD having to get more than 1 bus a day which she can do for Highclare and Hydesville. To be honest she doesn't really need any SEN support as such. Her dyslexia etc is not severe and I think with some of the adjustments she already has in place, and the smaller class sizes, she will be fine.
There is lots on this board about schools in the south, a few posts about the more selective independant schools in the Midlands, but very little about either of these schools.
As I have previously said I had never considered independant schooling for any of my children before but think this may be the best option for DD. It is very hard to compare them to other schools as it seems that they don't all publish results in the same way. I'm not necessarily interested in the number of grade A' s a school has, as that will generally depend on the child's ability in the first place. I suppose I need to know if it would be value for money and how the school is generally.
I was hoping that someone on here may attend the schools and may be able to tell me a little bit more about them.
It's reassuring to know that historically the school was doing well and I too know of children who attended over 20 years ago. It was always held in very high regard and I am hoping it still is. The results would imply it is.
I will add that we have attended both open days and DD is wanting to sit both assessment tests so that will obviously assist with any decision making as she will be the best judge of which school is best for her. .
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now