SCAF - Selection

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SandraHouston

SCAF - Selection

Post by SandraHouston »

Dear All,

I'm tearing my hair out here! :lol: :-) DS passed a 'super selective' exam as well as got a relatively good score to get into a good GS. My dilemma is how to rank these schools on the SCAF... I perfectly know that this is down to preference, but the fact that the cut-off scores for GS are not published until offer day is a bit of a concern... Any ideas on how to go about this please. Cheers! PS. Currently OOC.
scary mum

Re: SCAF - Selection

Post by scary mum »

Have a read of this. Put them in your genuine order of preference. https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 15&t=52784" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

https://www.kent.gov.uk/__data/assets/p ... -areas.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Page 16 (there are also examples of how choices will be allocated)
Each school will look at all their applications and draw up a
rank order based on their oversubscription criteria to decide
who will get places. Oversubscription criteria are a set of rules
which a school uses to place children into priority order, or
rank, if it receives too many requests for the places that it has
available. This means, for example, that if how close children
live to the school is an important factor, the children who live
closest are most likely to be offered places.
The order you name the schools in only matters if more than
one of them could offer your child a place. If this happens,
we will look back at your preferences and offer whichever of
them you named highest on the form. The unused offer for
the lower preference school(s) will then be offered to a child
that was ranked lower on that school’s list.
SandraHouston

Post by SandraHouston »

Great. Thanks @scary mum and @mitasol :-)
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Piggybacking the thread with a different SCAF question, sorry. If you're offered a lower preference and accept, while going on the waiting list for a higher one, you're not obliged to accept if an offer from the higher one eventually comes through, are you? Presumably you have a week or so to accept/ decline as with the original offer, so if circumstances have changed you can keep the place you first accepted?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Sorrel wrote:Piggybacking the thread with a different SCAF question, sorry. If you're offered a lower preference and accept, while going on the waiting list for a higher one, you're not obliged to accept if an offer from the higher one eventually comes through, are you? Presumably you have a week or so to accept/ decline as with the original offer, so if circumstances have changed you can keep the place you first accepted?
Please check with your own LA as to how waiting list offers are handled. At least until recently, there was at least one LA (possibly Herts?) which automatically replaced the place held with the new place. Most LAs have you a few days to decide, though, I think.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

ToadMum wrote:
Sorrel wrote:Piggybacking the thread with a different SCAF question, sorry. If you're offered a lower preference and accept, while going on the waiting list for a higher one, you're not obliged to accept if an offer from the higher one eventually comes through, are you? Presumably you have a week or so to accept/ decline as with the original offer, so if circumstances have changed you can keep the place you first accepted?
Please check with your own LA as to how waiting list offers are handled. At least until recently, there was at least one LA (possibly Herts?) which automatically replaced the place held with the new place. Most LAs have you a few days to decide, though, I think.
Many thanks - have done it now and they say higher preference offers can be accepted or declined. Also that you're automatically on the waiting list, which I hadn't realised. Thanks.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Yes, it’s very important to check as LAs have different policies. Some will only let you go on the waiting list of a school higher on your CAF than the allocated school. Others, like Kent, are very flexible.

Salsa
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now