11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Thisbloominexam

Selection Review Bucks HELP appreciated

Post by Thisbloominexam »

My child scored 112.

125.99 Verbal
99.06 Numerical
100.57 Non-Verbal

HT said she will support at a Review based on a 2:2 prediction - she says school has excellent accuracy in its predictions but has not yet confirmed how many of her 2:2s have qualified.

Reading age 12 years, spelling age 14 years. Not sure of predicted ks2 levels yet but will be high 5 equivalents. Level 3s at KS1.

We have commissioned an EP report which gives an overall IQ score of 117 (87th centile) with 95th centile for Verbal Comprehension and 91st centile for Working memory ...

We do have some extenuating circumstances on the day (logged in invigilator Report) and in the weeks leading up to the exam.

Any suggestions / thoughts as regards Review would be much appreciated x
Etienne

Re: Selection Review Bucks HELP appreciated

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)
Thisbloominexam wrote:My child scored 112.
You've probably seen that 76% of cases with a score of 112 didn't get through a review last year.
HT said she will support at a Review based on a 2:2 prediction - she says school has excellent accuracy in its predictions but has not yet confirmed how many of her 2:2s have qualified.
Ideally one would like to know how all her recommendations got on, not just the 2:2s.
Reading age 12 years, spelling age 14 years. Not sure of predicted ks2 levels yet but will be high 5 equivalents. Level 3s at KS1.
Sounds promising!
We have commissioned an EP report which gives an overall IQ score of 117 (87th centile) with 95th centile for Verbal Comprehension and 91st centile for Working memory ...
On the surface an FSIQ of 117 is better than the transfer test score of 112, but (even allowing for the difficulty in comparing different tests) it will probably be noted that it is still below 121. A VCI (verbal comprehension index) at the 95th percentile on its own is fine, but appears to confirm that numerical/perceptual/non-verbal reasoning is relatively weaker.
We do have some extenuating circumstances on the day (logged in invigilator Report) and in the weeks leading up to the exam.
They might need to be significant for a score of 112.

I think we'll probably be in a better position to judge when you have all the evidence, including the exact way in which the head has worded her support.
Etienne
Thisbloominexam

Tx Etienne.

I will post again as soon as I have received the Head's report - fingers crossed
Thisbloominexam

fyi - Ed Psych says THE PANEL WOULD NOT EXPECT FSIQ SCORE TO BE ABOVE 121. THE 11PLUS HAS DIFFERENT "NORMS". WISC scores ARE TYPICALLY 85% OF THE 11-plus scores. KEY IS THE PERCENTILE RANKING ... they say 87th centile puts my child in top 13% of country, well within grammar school banding ?
nazishadnan

Post by nazishadnan »

Does the EPS report hold a lot of weight age? Where do u get the Reading and spellings age
Good luck with your review
Thisbloominexam

Hi nazishadnan.

Honest answer is that I don't know how much weight the EPS has ...

I think it's good on two levels though (1) has reassured us that we are doing the right thing pursuing the Review I.e. Academically is well within banding for grammar ... and would respond well to academic subjects, style of teaching etc. (2) another independent body of evidence to help demonstrate academic ability and potential

Whether it convinces the panel or not remains to be seen :shock:
Thisbloominexam

I don't think it's age weighted ... full IQscore supposedly stays pretty much the same throughout your life ... but WISC test is designed for children, adults take a different test.
Thisbloominexam

Reading and spelling ages done by your child's school
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Hi

Thanks for the additional information.

Did the EP provide you with confidence intervals for the WISC results? (I know more or less what they would be - just checking whether you were given them.)
Thisbloominexam wrote:THE PANEL WOULD NOT EXPECT FSIQ SCORE TO BE ABOVE 121. THE 11PLUS HAS DIFFERENT "NORMS". WISC scores ARE TYPICALLY 85% OF THE 11-plus scores. KEY IS THE PERCENTILE RANKING .
I do hope he wasn't really shouting! :lol:
THE PANEL WOULD NOT EXPECT FSIQ SCORE TO BE ABOVE 121
I wonder where he gets that from?
THE 11PLUS HAS DIFFERENT "NORMS"
.... which is why I referred further up to the difficulty of comparing different tests.
WISC scores ARE TYPICALLY 85% OF THE 11-plus scores.
Did he actually put that in the report, and was he able to provide a justification for the "typically 85%" figure?
KEY IS THE PERCENTILE RANKING
Indeed, but we don't know what the percentile would be for a Bucks 11+ score, which is why comparisons are difficult. The Bucks test is not nationally standardised.

If the EP is arguing that a child with an FSIQ at the 87th percentile could cope academically at grammar school, then in general terms I would agree.
I'm making a somewhat different point. I think that, with an 11+ score of 112, a panel might need some convincing, so the alternative academic evidence needs to be particularly strong.
The following was written about the CATs test (not WISC, but it is another nationally standardised test): Ultimately, of course, it's for the individual panel members to decide what they will accept.
..... reassured us that we are doing the right thing pursuing the Review
I wonder if he understands the difference between a review and an appeal?

If you go ahead with a review, and it is successful, I suspect it will have more to do with realistic KS2 predictions and reliable headteacher predictions.
Etienne
Thisbloominexam

Hi Etienne ... no capital letters this time promise :lol:

When I asked Ed Psych if panel would understand the difference between the Bucks test scores and the WISC, they said yes they are well used to using the different tests and
would understand the differences - he then quoted the Typically 85%... so no that's not in the report.

Yes I do also have confidence intervals.

Hope that helps x
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now