Leigh-on-Sea to SHSG Travel

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Golden_Jubilee

Leigh-on-Sea to SHSG Travel

Post by Golden_Jubilee »

I need some information from south-end residents please. Before I submit my secondary application to my LA, I am considering the practicalities of moving and staying. We are in London (Romford area) and DD got pretty good score for Essex schools. I visited the schools and we liked South-end more than Westcliff Girls for DD.

Now, after visiting surrounding areas, I liked Leigh-on-sea perfect for moving as I need to commute to Liverpool Street and I would prefer C2C than East Anglia. Even though we won't move until Aug next year, I would like to understand if Leigh is an option. If not I have to re-think as Westcliff Girls is not my 2nd preference.

The issue is: how hard it will be for DD to travel to south-end girls from Leigh-on-sea? Google shows long journeys. Is there no bus that goes from Leigh as it is not that far?

please can someone (TOADMUM please I am aware you live in this area or someone else) help me understand the area?

Many thanks for all your help.
Last edited by Golden_Jubilee on Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToadMum

Re: Leigh-on-Sea to SHSG Travel

Post by ToadMum »

Golden_Jubilee wrote:I need some information from south-end residents please. Before I submit my secondary application to my LA, I am considering the practicalities of moving and staying. We are in London (Romford area) and DD got pretty good score for Essex schools. I visited the schools and we liked South-end more than Westcliff Girls for DD.

Now, after visiting surrounding areas, I liked Leigh-on-sea perfect for moving as I need to commute to Liverpool Street and I would prefer C2C than East Anglia. Even though we won't move until Aug next year, I would like to understand if Leigh is an option. If not I have to re-think as Westcliff Girls is not my 2nd preference.

The issue is: how hard it will be for DD to travel to south-end girls from Leigh-on-sea? Google shows long journeys. Is there no bus that goes from Leigh as it is not that far?

please can someone (TOADMUM please I am aware you live in this area or someone lese) help me understand the area?

Here I am, like the genie in the lamp :lol:

Best bet, get somewhere within sensible walking distance of Leigh on Sea or Chalkwell stations. I assume you had a look at house prices, though? Most of London Road is generally a bit cheaper, but a longer walk and I would ago for North of London Rd in line with Chalkwell for that reason, if you don't want to / can't get somewhere to the south.

The train journey is seven minutes from Chalkwell to Southend East, then a 15 minute (max) walk from the station to SHSG. Leigh is 2/3 minutes back up the line. Most girls who live anywhere near a station use the train - the discounted season tickets mean the cost is about half that of the bus and like bus reasons can be used at any time during the validity of the ticket. If you end up further from a station (and the hill down to Leigh is rather long and steep, Chalkwell slightly less hard going), the Arriva number 1 bus goes all the way to SHSG, or you can get any bus towards Southend and change at the interchange / Warrior Square. If you get the 27 (First) you can stay on to the White Horse at the Lifstan Way / Southchurch Boulevard junction (the pub has been renamed Old Walnut Tree, but all the bus drivers know the stop as the White Horse). Lots of SHSG students use the train, you really can't get lost.

Hope this helps :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Golden_Jubilee

Post by Golden_Jubilee »

Thank you TOADMUM for the help, much appreciated. You really are the genie in the lamp when it comes to any query for Essex. :D
OrangeSport

Post by OrangeSport »

Alternatively, when its dry (which is most of the time, this is the driest part of the country) it's a pretty easy bike ride (especially if you are near the seafront)
Golden_Jubilee

Post by Golden_Jubilee »

Thank you OrangeSport . As I am used to busy roads/traffic near my area so I am not sure about this now :) too scared rather. Hopefully, after seeing the traffic near school I will consider that. DD would love it if she can go to school by bike.
OrangeSport

Post by OrangeSport »

Yes, perhaps one for the future! Worth noting that the seafront has cycle paths all the way (which could be most of the journey depending where you live)
akshu

Post by akshu »

can neone living in Essex plz reply? Is there a schoolbus for SHSG like chochester high?
mad?

Post by mad? »

akshu wrote:can neone living in Essex plz reply? Is there a schoolbus for SHSG like chochester high?
From where? Unlikely I would have thought as public transport so good no other methods needed.
mad?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

akshu wrote:can neone living in Essex plz reply? Is there a schoolbus for SHSG like chochester high?
From where?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

ToadMum wrote:
Golden_Jubilee wrote:I need some information from south-end residents please. Before I submit my secondary application to my LA, I am considering the practicalities of moving and staying. We are in London (Romford area) and DD got pretty good score for Essex schools. I visited the schools and we liked South-end more than Westcliff Girls for DD.

please can someone (TOADMUM please I am aware you live in this area or someone lese) help me understand the area?

Here I am, like the genie in the lamp :lol:

Best bet, get somewhere within sensible walking distance of Leigh on Sea or Chalkwell stations. I assume you had a look at house prices, though? Most of London Road is generally a bit cheaper, but a longer walk and I would ago for North of London Rd in line with Chalkwell for that reason, if you don't want to / can't get somewhere to the south.

The train journey is seven minutes from Chalkwell to Southend East, then a 15 minute (max) walk from the station to SHSG. Leigh is 2/3 minutes back up the line. Most girls who live anywhere near a station use the train - the discounted season tickets mean the cost is about half that of the bus and like bus reasons can be used at any time during the validity of the ticket. If you end up further from a station (and the hill down to Leigh is rather long and steep, Chalkwell slightly less hard going), the Arriva number 1 bus goes all the way to SHSG, or you can get any bus towards Southend and change at the interchange / Warrior Square. If you get the 27 (First) you can stay on to the White Horse at the Lifstan Way / Southchurch Boulevard junction (the pub has been renamed Old Walnut Tree, but all the bus drivers know the stop as the White Horse). Lots of SHSG students use the train, you really can't get lost.

Hope this helps :)
Edited to correct - NORTH of London Road!

Since software 'upgrade', phone has a different sort of life of its own... :roll:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now