Here again...

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Karma67

Here again...

Post by Karma67 »

Hi all,
3yrs ago I found myself in the position I'm in today, my DS hasn't got 121, actually his score is surprisingly low (103), considering he is 'exceeding over expectations' on most school subjects..

He would like to go to review like we did with his sister (she scored 116 and were successful), but I'm not sure of it is worth it with his score....

A few things to think over this weekend x
Last edited by Karma67 on Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Etienne

Re: Here again...

Post by Etienne »

Welcome back! :)

You probably know all this, but ......
Start here.
he is 'exceeding over expectations' on most school subjects
It rather depends how far above expectations.

Ideally, for a review, I would suggest:
    • • KS2 predictions of 111-120 for reading & maths, and "greater depth" for writing, if the system is the same as last year • strong but realistic support from the headteacher (it doesn't help if the school gave lots of "1" & "2" recommendations to its pupils, and most of these haven't qualified)

• extenuating circumstances (the lower the score, the more exceptional the circumstances should be)

• (preferably) an 11+ score as close as possible to what was required!

Be aware that an unsuccessful review could seriously prejudice any subsequent appeal.
Etienne
Karma67

Post by Karma67 »

Thanks Etienne x
Karma67

Post by Karma67 »

Finally got HT report yesterday so I have been formulating my parent 'bit'!
Here is what I have so far....any help would be appreciated!

Dear Members of the Panel,
We would be grateful if you consider this appeal for our son on the following grounds:
Academic evidence
Headteacher recommendation for Grammar school suitability is 1= Exceptionally highly able and so very highly recommended.
Predicted performance levels end of July 2018 are: Reading - 111-120, Writing - Working at greater depth, and Mathematics - 111-120.
Herts Reading Age: 14.01 (September 2017)
Vernon Spelling Age: 15.10+ (September 2017)
GL Assessment: Verbal Reasoning - Standardised Score - 12 (09/02/2016) and Non-Verbal Reasoning -112 (11/02/2016)
Key Stage 1 levels at end of Year 2 - Reading 3c, Writing 3, and Mathematics 3.
Consistent progression academically throughout Key Stage 2 and achieved above age related expectations at the end of Year 5 (please see attached Headteacher's statement). (Should I put end of YR 3,4,and 5 aswell???...they are on the HT statement)
Extenuating Circumstances
DS has hypermobility in his hands and upper limbs/shoulders (please see enclosed Occupational Therapy advice summary dated 08/02/2016 and report dated Aug 2016). DS was not provided with tools recommended by an Occupational Therapist which aid with his pencil skills and positioning, whilst he sat the 11+ test. This impacted on how he was able to work during the test, and inhibited his ability to answer all the questions as quickly as he wanted to.
DS's school did not apply for any extra time allowance for the 11+ test, which we feel should have been the case as DS has difficulty with fine motor skills, especially with pencil grip and strength, and the lack of extra time impacted on his physical ability to answer the questions.
DS's Great-Grandmother, who he had a very close relationship with and saw most days, died suddenly 2 weeks before he sat the 11+ test, and we feel this had a negative impact on his mindset prior and during his 11+test.

We hope the panel will be prepared to view that these extenuating circumstances and supporting information are sufficient evidence, and recognise that this 11+ exam result does not reflect DS's true academic abilities.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The Headteacher gave him a 1:3
In her statement she wrote:
'Academically, DS is able in the core subjects, acheiving above age related expectations at the end of Yr 5. His Key Stage 1 levels demonstrate this and he is predicted to achieve GDS in Reading, Writing , SPAG and Maths in the Key Stage 2 tests and teacher assessments. Our school code of E, E+, and S means he has been assessed as Expected Plus and Secure in his learning. DS is an avid reader and has a vivid imagination which he uses effectively in his subjects. He has a high reading and spelling age and this has been consistant thoughout key stage 2. He also has a great interest and talent in all areas of IT.'

She then goes on about what his temperment is etc...ie he has a confident, calm approach and answers questions considerately.

She then states...'The way the 11+ is administered is very different to how DS performs best.' then concludes ' As demonstrated by the Recommendation and Attitude to Work rating we have given DS we believe he is an able child who would be academically suitable in a grammar school.'

I'm not sure if that last comment is a good thing or not??!! Sigh

Thanks in advance for any help etc x
Karma67

Post by Karma67 »

Any feedback would be gratefully appreciated, deadline to submit is only 3 days away :(
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

OK, unless I've commented below. :)
Karma67 wrote:We would be grateful if you consider this appeal
Not "this appeal" but "this request for a review".
Headteacher recommendation for Grammar school suitability is 1= Exceptionally highly able and so very highly recommended.
I would omit the definition - they know what a '1' means'!
Herts Reading Age: 14.01 (September 2017)
Vernon Spelling Age: 15.10+ (September 2017)
Suggest you omit. It's getting too detailed.
GL Assessment: Verbal Reasoning - Standardised Score - 12 (09/02/2016) and Non-Verbal Reasoning -112 (11/02/2016)
12???
(112 doesn't sound too high either!)
Should I put end of YR 3,4,and 5 as well???...they are on the HT statement)
No, best not to regurgitate all the details on the headteacher's summary sheet. (Mary's letter was originally written for an appeal which is less structured than a review, so for an appeal it can be useful if the parent summarises all the academic evidence.)
For a review I would just highlight some of the main points.
DS's Great-Grandmother, who he had a very close relationship with and saw most days, died suddenly 2 weeks before he sat the 11+ test, and we feel this had a negative impact on his mindset prior and during his 11+test.
Does the head say she was aware of this? Or that the school noticed any change during the 2 week period? If not, I would omit because I'm afraid it won't carry any weight.
We hope the panel will be prepared to view that these extenuating circumstances and supporting information are sufficient evidence, and recognise that this 11+ exam result does not reflect DS's true academic abilities.
I would add one more sentence:
    • We would respectfully ask you to weigh up the headteacher's comment: 'The way the 11+ is administered is very different to how DS performs best ........ we believe he is an able child who would be academically suitable in a grammar school.'
Hope this helps - but don't worry about it too much. The headteacher's summary sheet will matter much more than anything the parent writes!
Etienne
Karma67

Post by Karma67 »

Etienne wrote:OK, unless I've commented below. :)
Karma67 wrote:We would be grateful if you consider this appeal
Not "this appeal" but "this request for a review". Oooops!! :oops:

12???
(112 doesn't sound too high either!)
Should have been 122 not 12 lol But if you think too low should I omit it?

Does the head say she was aware of this? Or that the school noticed any change during the 2 week period? If not, I would omit because I'm afraid it won't carry any weight. DS had told them but I didn't 'officially' tell them, and no mention on HT statement
I would add one more sentence:
    • We would respectfully ask you to weigh up the headteacher's comment: 'The way the 11+ is administered is very different to how DS performs best ........ we believe he is an able child who would be academically suitable in a grammar school.'
Brilliant!!

Hope this helps - but don't worry about it too much. The headteacher's summary sheet will matter much more than anything the parent writes!
Thanks a million Etienne, a few schoolgirl errors there in my typing :shock: :oops:
Karma67

Post by Karma67 »

All corrected and ready to email....I had asked if anyone else had experience emailing pack, but with the lack of response, it seems not! lol
worriedfolks

Post by worriedfolks »

Hiya

We will be emailing our pack too

Fingers crossed :)
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Karma67 wrote:Any feedback would be gratefully appreciated, deadline to submit is only 3 days away :(
Hi reading about your experience of the 11 plus brought back memories of my own son failing under similar circumstances.....he was diagnosed with dyspraxia after the test and had similar high ability in other school assessments.....interestingly I have sincce been diagnosed with hypermobility spectrum disorder...so definitely something in the genes!!

We were lucky to appeal and gain a place at a grammar school where DS has indeed thrived. The teaching staff clearly see him as being in an appropriate setting for him he is regarded as a high achiever in maths and science...and he has had good SEN support which he is gradually needing less as he goes through the school. Being able to use a laptop for longer writing tasks has been very helpful.
I hope you are able to make a case for your son...Hypermobility certainly causes physical challenges that can cause a disadvantage in testing..especially in trying to wirk quickly can encourage a more tense hand grip which in turn causes hand pain. Children with dyspraxia tend to need time to relax their hands and move about a bit to gain focus....good luck :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now