11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Louise23

Re: Chis and Sid - opinions please

Post by Louise23 »

Sounds promising. Good luck.
liceo_classico

Post by liceo_classico »

it's our 4th option, we don't live close by so probably won't be the assigned school but maybe on Waiting List. We called the Admissions office and they confirmed that by September everyone that was on the waiting list got a place
salsa

Post by salsa »

liceo_classico wrote:it's our 4th option, we don't live close by so probably won't be the assigned school but maybe on Waiting List. We called the Admissions office and they confirmed that by September everyone that was on the waiting list got a place
Chis & Sid? Wow, I had my eldest on the list back in 2014. When we got a place at DGS I contacted the school to remove him from the list. They must have forgotten as they contacted me, 6 months after he started year 7, asking if we still wanted to keep him on the list and that his position was 30 something!

Salsa
Muggle

Post by Muggle »

salsa wrote:
liceo_classico wrote:it's our 4th option, we don't live close by so probably won't be the assigned school but maybe on Waiting List. We called the Admissions office and they confirmed that by September everyone that was on the waiting list got a place
Chis & Sid? Wow, I had my eldest on the list back in 2014. When we got a place at DGS I contacted the school to remove him from the list. They must have forgotten as they contacted me, 6 months after he started year 7, asking if we still wanted to keep him on the list and that his position was 30 something!

Salsa
Chis & Sid even offered 5 places to those just below the pass mark last year.
salsa

Post by salsa »

I guess things have changed with more schools in the area? Also, DGS started taking 90 OOC children for their 2015 September intake. The year my son started there were only 16 OOC and their PAN was only 150 as opposed to 180 which is now.

Salsa
liceo_classico

Post by liceo_classico »

Muggle wrote:
salsa wrote:

Salsa
Chis & Sid even offered 5 places to those just below the pass mark last year.
In fact, it was the thread where I read that information that convinced me to call the admissions office again. Of course, they said there is no guarantee this year will be the same.
cornucopia

Post by cornucopia »

We have friends at C&SG and have been to school plays and other events there\. I've always been impressed by the friendliness and sense of community, and the fact that the kids like their school. We're in catchment for Bexley GS, C&S and I suppose all the others too, but having been to 2 rounds of open days and various events, I prefer C&S, though I appreciate much of it comes down to whether you want the IB programme or not. In fact, every child we know at both schools loves their school! Get the impression that Bexley GS is less sporty, though I may be wrong about that. One thing which impressed my kids at a C&S open day a couple of years ago was the children's emphasis on how nice, and plentiful, the food was! They also mentioned that the teachers kept an eye on the bus stops near the school and you should not worry about any hassle, and that you would feel safe, and well-fed, at school. These seemed to be things that the kids found important, and rightly so! Now trying to decide between C&S or Bromley High for my daughter - tricky one.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

cornucopia wrote: Now trying to decide between C&S or Bromley High for my daughter - tricky one.
They are very very different options. One is co-ed, one is all girls. One is fee paying, one has a start time at 8.15 am which doesn’t suit some if travelling a long way. One is more urban and the other is next to a park and feels quite rural in places. One is part of a large Trust that has schools across the country with inter-school competitions, the other doesn’t. One has class sizes of at least a third larger than the other. I am sure the curriculum is probably different too. Although not geographically very far apart, by public transport they are quite far away and from some locations one or other of the schools will likely take longer to get to. I presume your DD is in the junior school as BH only had the tests on Saturday so those taking the test won’t know of a place quite yet. I know of some who’ve moved from BH to Bexley grammars and it suited them, others it didn’t.
cornucopia

Post by cornucopia »

Thanks Petts Wood Fiona - that's a helpful comparison.
DD is not at BH currently, but she's very strong academically so realistically I expect her to be offered a place. We know people at both schools and its often said that BHS is very nurturing and good for quiet, studious girls. Certainly I've met some very sensitive girls who have thrived there. However, DD is very confident and has brothers, so it's possible that a lot of what is special about BHS would go over her head, and that she might get on better at a co-ed school. I *think * she would thrive at either. We are close & roughly equidistant from each, although the public transport journey to C&S is better so more flexibility with late buses than using the BHS school bus service. She's sporty, and both schools are strong on sport with (as far as I can see) plenty of match fixtures. Curriculums aren't that different really. Both in a green setting (though the front of C&S looks scruffy, its grounds back onto Lamorbey Park, and the kids do cross-country runs there. Similar to having Jubilee Park right next to BHS). BHS undoubtedly looks better maintained! I'm sure BHS adds value with small class sizes and gets great grades despite (presumably) having a slightly more mixed intake than the grammars. The question for me is how much value it would add for her specifically, and whether a mixed school might suit her better. Totally on the fence at the moment.
PettswoodFiona wrote: They are very very different options. One is co-ed, one is all girls. One is fee paying, one has a start time at 8.15 am which doesn’t suit some if travelling a long way. One is more urban and the other is next to a park and feels quite rural in places. One is part of a large Trust that has schools across the country with inter-school competitions, the other doesn’t. One has class sizes of at least a third larger than the other. I am sure the curriculum is probably different too... . I presume your DD is in the junior school as BH only had the tests on Saturday so those taking the test won’t know of a place quite yet.
zcacmxi

Post by zcacmxi »

PettswoodFiona wrote: I know of some who’ve moved from BH to Bexley grammars and it suited them, others it didn’t.
This seems to be the case for all schools; there are 1 or 2 DC each year who will move school. They represent < 1% of the year.

Our DD is currently attending BH JS, and every year so far there has been at least one pupil leaving and another joining. It can be for a variety of reasons.

I think this demonstrates that all schools are not suitable for all children. We can try our best to select, but ultimately if you do fall into the 1% who must move then it is not impossible although may not be easy.

In my opinion BH vs C&S is an easier decision to make, as they are almost completely the opposite in most aspects. Co-ed Vs all girls is a major differential.