Sam10 appeals thread

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Sam10

Can I ask for a breakdown of CEM 11 plus result from CEM?

Post by Sam10 »

Hi

Please can anyone advise me as to whether I can request a breakdown of 11 plus result rather than receiving the overall score from CEM or Wirral admissions? I would really like to no what the maths, verbal, non verbal and comprehension score was, as it may prove valid for extenuating circumstances in appeal. Does anybody also know how I find out if it was a low pass rate or not? Many thanks in advance.
atmyage

Re: Can I ask for a breakdown of CEM 11 plus result from CEM

Post by atmyage »

Sam10 wrote:Hi

Please can anyone advise me as to whether I can request a breakdown of 11 plus result rather than receiving the overall score from CEM or Wirral admissions? I would really like to no what the maths, verbal, non verbal and comprehension score was, as it may prove valid for extenuating circumstances in appeal. Does anybody also know how I find out if it was a low pass rate or not? Many thanks in advance.
Hello Sam10,

I called Durham University two weeks ago to ask the same questions and also emailed. They will not release anymore information than what is on the results letter, even though they suggest you can email them to get a report under " subject access report". This report is basically the results received: raw score for verbal, maths and NVR and age standardised score. It's all to do protecting their "valuable information about their exam structure and protecting its integrity..."

I have the emails but can't find a way to put them on here.

Atmyage
Sam10

Sam10 appeals thread

Post by Sam10 »

Hi Etienne

Can I ask is a complete melt down for over one hour before the 11 plus test including feeling sick, crying, unable to eat or drink and unable to concentrate and focus because of the nauseous feeling an extenuating reason alongside with being awake most of the night before the test. I did consider not allowing my child to sit the test but didn't want to sit the test in a test centre. This high level of anxiety has been a one off caused by passionately wanting to pass and having an elder sibling already at grammar doing very well. There were other distractios during test due to school kitchen having music playing which the headteacher thought had been turned after she requested this at the beginning of the test but the children say the music was only turned down. ( my child was most affected being sat by the kitchen hatch) on the second test the kitchen turned on a fan that made two really loud noises that the head knocked on the kitchen door to gain no answer ( my child was fully aware of all of this) and the head had to send reception round to the outside kitchen door to ask the cooks to turn the fan off. The school did appeal for my child at independent assessment board but was unsuccessful - she was 10 points from pass but had the ability to pass this test. My child also missed over one month in yr 5 due to illness. I just feel my child hasn't had a fair test as she desperately wants to go to grammar school. Any advice would be gratefully received.
Guest55

Re: Bucks review - how much extenuating evidence required?

Post by Guest55 »

Can mods please split this? What LA are you in - the Bucks reviews have not happened yet.
hermanmunster

Re: Sam10 appeals thread

Post by hermanmunster »

I think it is Wirral
Etienne

Re: Can I ask for a breakdown of CEM 11 plus result from CEM

Post by Etienne »

It's worth trying an SAR (subject access request).
The individual scores seem to be available in other areas, so I can't quite see why commercial confidentiality would only be an issue where you are.
A specimen SAR can be found here:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b47" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For pass rate you could try a Freedom of Information request to your LA (if the LA was handling the 11+ on behalf of the grammar schools).
A specimen FOI request can be found here:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals/general#a39" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alternatively, there is a link in A39 to the "What do they know" website.

I'll merge this topic with your other appeals thread, as we prefer all your questions to be in one place.
Etienne
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to Appeals! :)

Have you seen the Q&As?
If not, start here:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Can I ask is a complete melt down for over one hour before the 11 plus test including feeling sick, crying, unable to eat or drink and unable to concentrate and focus because of the nauseous feeling an extenuating reason alongside with being awake most of the night before the test.
Yes, but it will be up to the panel to decide how much weight to give the extenuating circumstances.
It would obviously help if there is some supporting evidence (e.g. if you discussed the problem with the school at the time, and explained your reservations about central testing. Or if it was noticed at school that your child was distressed at the time of the test.)
my child was most affected being sat by the kitchen hatch
Will the school confirm this? Can they give you a copy of the seating plan with your daughter's desk and the kitchen hatch marked on it? (Other children's names should be deleted.)
[she] had the ability to pass this test
This is what you have to prove.

See the Q&As:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And note carefully B10:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
    • Whatever the circumstances may be, remember:

The basis of an appeal against non-qualification should be the overall strength of the alternative academic evidence. You might win an appeal with strong academic evidence but no extenuating circumstances. You cannot win an appeal with extenuating circumstances but insufficient academic evidence.

Most good schools will be oversubscribed. In addition to convincing academic evidence, therefore, you are likely to need reasons for wanting a place at the school being appealed for (reasons that are sufficient to outweigh the prejudice to the school if it has to exceed its admission number). See C2.

Be aware that, however good a case you may have, appeals for some schools (especially heavily oversubscribed schools that allocate places strictly according to score) may be very difficult to win. It is worth finding out the previous success rate of appeals for a particular school. See A39.
Etienne
T860786

Post by T860786 »

Sam you can obtain a breakdown of your daughters scores direct from Durham University. If you complete and send a subject access request form, a covering letter, cheque for £10 payable to Durham University, a copy of your ID and a copy of your daughters ID they will provide you with them.

I am from Wirral and i have just received my son's. It took about 2 weeks. You just need to mention in the convering letter things to help them identify school, borough test was taken and date of birth of your daughter. I also asked for a breakdown of results for boys and girls at my son's school.

I received raw schools for maths, verbal and non verbal and then the aged standardised score for each. Makes sure your request asks for these specifically. The age standardised score is weighted 50% verbal, 25% maths and 25% non verbal. It was very clear from my sons results which area let him down. Hope this helps x
Sam10

Headteacher supporting letter advice for 11 plus appeals

Post by Sam10 »

Hi

Please could anyone assist with what is deemed as a good supporting letter from year 6 teacher or headteacher for 11 plus appeals non qualification? The school usually only provides predicted sat results so need to guide them as to what the letter needs to entail. Any advice would be gratefully received. Thank you
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

there is a bit of advice re letters / evidence here https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appea ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now