Likelihood of SGS place when failed Wilsons test

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

fougasse

Likelihood of SGS place when failed Wilsons test

Post by fougasse »

First of all apologies if I am treading old ground. However I'd be really grateful for some perspective especially from anyone who has been through this process with their child.
DS passed the SET and is eligible for Wallington, and also passed stage 2 for SGS but was 10 pts below Wilson's cut off of 280.
He would really like to go to SGS. Wallington and Wilsons were never going to be an option as he needs get there by public transport. Does the fact that he did not score high enough for Wilsons mean that SGS is unlikely? I put SGS in 1st place on the CAF. His alternative is our local comprehensive (not a bad school, but probably not the best fit for him). We are OOC. Thanks for any comments.
thankyou123

Re: Likelihood of SGS place when failed Wilsons test

Post by thankyou123 »

Hello

My DS also passed Wallington , SGS & Tiffin but not WIlson's

Wilson's never been our 1st choice due to distance . But I am also worried if his SGS score is very bottom as we already know his Wilson's score.. lower than your DS' .
We put SGS in our 1st place on the CAF too & we are live in catchment. Let's hope & be optimistic.. no one knows the result yet and we do not worry about the result from now on. :wink:

fougasse wrote:First of all apologies if I am treading old ground. However I'd be really grateful for some perspective especially from anyone who has been through this process with their child.
DS passed the SET and is eligible for Wallington, and also passed stage 2 for SGS but was 10 pts below Wilson's cut off of 280.
He would really like to go to SGS. Wallington and Wilsons were never going to be an option as he needs get there by public transport. Does the fact that he did not score high enough for Wilsons mean that SGS is unlikely? I put SGS in 1st place on the CAF. His alternative is our local comprehensive (not a bad school, but probably not the best fit for him). We are OOC. Thanks for any comments.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Don't forget that although Wilsons and SGS use the same exam, they score it differently.

Wilsons is 80% on the second stage and 20% on the SET.

SGS is 60% on the second stage, 40% on the SET.

The fact that your DCs qualified for Wallington means they're not at the very bottom of the scores in the SET.

It's possible that your DCs scored very well in the SET but had weaker second stage tests - this would have a bigger impact on your overall score for Wilsons than for SGS because of the weighting.

There's nothing to be gained by agonising over it now - try not to think too much about it for the next few months. Best of luck for offer day.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

faugasse, is commute to Wallington very difficult?
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

That's a good question - Wallington Boys and SGS are only a couple of miles apart and trains from Sutton (near SGS) go to both Hackbridge and Wallington stations, both of which carry many Wallington Boys pupils. I imagine there must be a bus that goes from Sutton to Wallington too.
fougasse

Post by fougasse »

Well I must admit I probably didn't do due diligence on Wallington and getting there, I just looked a the A-Z and saw it wasn't near a train station, whereas SGS is. I haven't put it on the CAF.
Thanks for your insights re the different scoring for SET and stage 2. Seems like there's hope, and I will try and put it to the back of my mind till March 1st!
RuedeWakening

Post by RuedeWakening »

407 goes from Sutton to a stop outside Wallington Boys. Or the X26 express bus stops not far away in Carshalton High Street - though neither go from right ouside the station afaik. Or if you go to Wallington station, the 463 (and I think the 151 too) goes from there to Wallington Boys.

Wilson's is trickier to get to from a station, from Wallington station the 157 goes past, or from near to Waddon station the 157 in the other direction, or the 455/154.

I'm a local who uses far too many buses :lol:
fougasse

Post by fougasse »

Thanks rue. Worth having here for others and for future reference, although we are in Merton ( coolers wood) and I don’t think any of those buses goes near our neighbourhood.
fougasse

Post by fougasse »

Should have been Colliers Wood, obviously.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

See TFL journey planner for various bus/train/tram options.

For WCGS, one option could be as follows
Bus or walk to Merton Park tram station
Then tram to Wandle Park/Vicarage Rd
Then bus 410/407 to WCGS

Another could be
Bus 152 from Colliers Wood to Mitcham Eastfield Station
Then Bus 463 to WCGS

Both journeys about 50 Mins to an hour
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now