SW CEM Raw marks

Eleven Plus (11+) in South West Hertfordshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
kavi_krishna

SW CEM Raw marks

Post by kavi_krishna »

Hello,

I recently requested CEM raw marks from Durham university and have received them now( pretty quick), but they wouldn't give the total no. of marks available. I understand that they do not want to provide section wise marks, but without knowing the total marks I can't guess if the score was good enough.

Also, Is there a similar way to get the GL raw marks? Has anybody requested this before? Kindly advise.

thanks
loopylala

Re: SW CEM Raw marks

Post by loopylala »

kavi_krishna wrote:but without knowing the total marks I can't guess if the score was good enough.
I think the information here should give you a good guide for making a guess if the score is good enough, unless your DC is very close to the cut off mark. I don't think access to the raw scores will provide you with any more of an insight.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 18&t=10227" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

What did they actually send you? Did you just get one mark? DG
kavi_krishna

Post by kavi_krishna »

They gave 2 marks - Raw mark and the Age standardized mark for CEM

But without knowing the total marks ( that is , out of what) , I am unable to conclude if the raw marks is good
or not.

I am probing into this simply because unlike Bucks, SW herts did not give the scores separately for VR and Maths. Going by the above marks I received from Durham, it looks like DC's maths scores was lower than this, which as far as I know cannot be possible at all.

So, I am keen to know if there is any similar way to request the raw marks from GL too?
Hera

Post by Hera »

The first year that SW Herts were required to provide test results before CAF submission was 2012. In that first year they gave a separate score for the maths and the verbal reasoning (the VR was not CEM then). Everyone was surprised at how low the maths scores were in comparison to the VR ones. The GL maths test is not challenging so candidates generally score very highly which means that the average score is high. This means that for every incorrect answer a child may lose a high number of standardised marks. Also in that year it often seemed to be the able mathematicians that lost a surprising number marks on the maths, perhaps because it all seemed so simple that they made silly mistakes. Have a look at this thread.

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 18&t=28104" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kavi_krishna wrote:They gave 2 marks - Raw mark and the Age standardized mark for CEM

But without knowing the total marks ( that is , out of what) , I am unable to conclude if the raw marks is good
or not
It is the standardised score which tells you if the raw score is good. Also with that you can work out your maths standardised score.
kavi_krishna

Post by kavi_krishna »

Hera wrote:The GL maths test is not challenging so candidates generally score very highly which means that the average score is high. This means that for every incorrect answer a child may lose a high number of standardised marks.
That seems to explain it. Having worked out the standardized maths marks, it still would make a lot of sense knowing the maths raw marks.
loopylala

Post by loopylala »

kavi_krishna wrote:I am probing into this simply because unlike Bucks, SW herts did not give the scores separately for VR and Maths.
Even if they had given you both your VR and Maths raw scores, you still wouldn't know how well your DC had done as you won't know how many other children in the examined co-hort scored higher. You also won't know which schools those higher scoring DCs placed on their CAF.

SW Herts is different from Bucks in that, besides the fact that there are fewer academic places offered, academic places are allocated by score, top down, not qualifying score and then distance (unless on the cut off mark).
kavi_krishna

Post by kavi_krishna »

Agree loopylala, but to me x out of y (raw marks) in each test indicates how well DC has done irrespective of the co-hort/standardization factors. I am not bothered about the CAF choices or the school cut-off marks here.

With the mess-up that happened just on the day when the results came out and SW portal being down for more than a day and later some of the marks getting revised etc., I am trying to ascertain that the marks that we received are indeed right.
Hera

Post by Hera »

The only way you will be able to get your DCs marks double checked is by requesting a remark after March 1st. Even if you had a raw score for each test, I don't see how that would indicate whether or not the scores are correct?
loopylala

Post by loopylala »

kavi_krishna wrote:With the mess-up that happened just on the day when the results came out and SW portal being down for more than a day and later some of the marks getting revised etc., I am trying to ascertain that the marks that we received are indeed right.
Oh, I misunderstood because you initially posted "I can't guess if the score was good enough".

Given the circumstances, it is certainly worth you trying to find out. I image a few others will be trying to do the same this year.