Appealing for a Bucks upper school

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Blue_Marigold

Appealing for a Bucks upper school

Post by Blue_Marigold »

I am just preparing myself incase I need to go for an appeal... I understand that if our selection review is not successful then I’d have to prove the review wasn’t done FCO for a grammar school appeal. But what if I am appealing for a non-grammar school? Will they even need to know we tried for a review?
Guest55

Re: Appealing for a Bucks upper school

Post by Guest55 »

They will probably have a copy of your CAF - that's what happened when I helped a friend of mine. They did ask her if she'd appealed [this was in the days before reviews] and she was a bit shocked that was relevant.

My thoughts would be to show that the Upper school you want better suits your child. Look at the options, clubs, etc and compare them .. why is one 'a better fit'.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Blue_Marigold wrote:I am just preparing myself incase I need to go for an appeal... I understand that if our selection review is not successful then I’d have to prove the review wasn’t done FCO for a grammar school appeal. But what if I am appealing for a non-grammar school? Will they even need to know we tried for a review?
I don't think they'll know if you've been to review but, as Guest55 says, they'll have a copy of your CAF preferences, and I imagine the current status of each application will be shown. For example, the word "unqualified" or "qualified" might appear by the side of a Bucks grammar school. Other schools might be shown as "offered" (it could be a lower preference), "place not available" or "waiting list".

I wouldn't worry - lots of parents are likely to be in a similar situation.
Just focus on:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
2littleboys

Post by 2littleboys »

Blue_Marigold

You are one step ahead of me-I hadn't even thought of this situation.

Now you have given me something else to worry about :lol:
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Is your first preference Upper one for which you already know that your DC is unlikely to qualify?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Blue_Marigold

Post by Blue_Marigold »

I’m pretty sure she should qualify for the first choice upper. Although it is not our catchment school we already have a child there.

But it is not our first choice on the CAF. We have put a grammar school as our very first choice which we’ll only get if we get through the review.

In the event something goes wrong on allocation day we are going to appeal for the first choice upper. It will say we’re unqualified for the grammar school so the upper school becomes first by default (is that correct)?

I am just trying to be prepared so I am able to deal with the situation if it arises.
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

Marigold, neither of the schools will know where you’ve put them on the CAF. If you get your appeal, then the GS will say “yes” to your DD. The Upper may say “yes” too (as you have a sib). They will also ask any other schools
On your CAF and get a yay or nay. So you’ll end up with several decisions in a line.

Then Bucks CC looks at the list of yes and noes

Do you have a yes for school number 1? Great, she gets the Gs.
If not, do you have a yes for school number 2? In which case she gets the upper.
If both are no they just keep going down the CAF and the first yes is your offer.

This is why it’s VERY important to put the school In the genuine order you want.
None of the schools know where you have put them on the CAF at any point.
Blue_Marigold

Post by Blue_Marigold »

Thanks Aethel, I think in my negative thoughts that come to haunt me the night I assume it will be a no for #1 (due to unsuccessful review) and no to #2 (due to school filling up with catchment kids).

In this scenario I’d want to appeal for #2. But how can I argue that I think it’s the best school for her when I put another school above it on the CAF?

In reality, going by previous years allocations, #2 is practically guaranteed. I go to sleep knowing this until I suddenly wake up thinking what if I’m wrong.

Clearly I am going crazy and may need to seek help in the pastoral care section on this board...