English Language vs English Literature A'Level

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Miltonkeynes1

English Language vs English Literature A'Level

Post by Miltonkeynes1 »

Hi I wondered if anyone had advice about English A'Level?
DD much prefers the course content of the English Language A'Level Level but understands that it is not a facilitating subject. She is going to do History and Economics and needs to decide on the third subject.
Obviously English Literature is a more traditional subject but her English teacher has suggested that English Language is also highly regarded. I am worried that it may restrict her university offers.
Any thoughts would be gratefully received.
ToadMum

Re: English Language vs English Literature A'Level

Post by ToadMum »

Miltonkeynes1 wrote:Hi I wondered if anyone had advice about English A'Level?
DD much prefers the course content of the English Language A'Level Level but understands that it is not a facilitating subject. She is going to do History and Economics and needs to decide on the third subject.
Obviously English Literature is a more traditional subject but her English teacher has suggested that English Language is also highly regarded. I am worried that it may restrict her university offers.
Any thoughts would be gratefully received.
Does the school only offer Literature or Language and not the combined course?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Miltonkeynes1

Post by Miltonkeynes1 »

No just Language or Literature.
KB

Post by KB »

Traditionally it was seen as second best but to get the closest to a definitive answer I would check against courses she is likely to be interested in at a range of Universities.
If a web site says a subject is preferred then while it's clearly not essential if you are at the stage of selecting which subjects to do it's a strong pointer!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Picking one university at random - UCL - English language is on the list of preferred A levels. As is Economics.

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-studen ... l-subjects

Unless your DD has a burning desire to study English Literature at university, or to go to a university which specifically discounts English Language (or Economics - History should be on every institution's list of acceptable subjects), then it shouldn't really be a problem.

DD's school offers Lit and Lit / Lang (a common offer around here, particularly in the grammar schools); she was also very interested in the Language component of the combined A level, but a late change of third subject meant a timetable clash and she is doing Literature. Be warned, it is an awful lot of reading.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Miltonkeynes1

Post by Miltonkeynes1 »

Thank you, she had been concerned as it is not a facilitating subject but that is reassuring.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now