Cambridge interview prep

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
avidskier

Cambridge interview prep

Post by avidskier »

My DD has managed to secure herself an interview for Cambridge. Does anyone have any recommendations as to prep for this? Any general book recommendations? There seem to be lots of books on the general topic but I don’t know if they are useful?
She is going for a fairly obscure degree (Archeology) and is working her way through the department’s recommended list..
But she is extremely nervous already.
Or has anyone tried anything else to build up confidence: tutors? Programs?
Her school has done some practice interviews with her but none of the teachers at the school have experience with this particular subject. She knew far more about it than those interviewing her.
Thank you in advance for your help!
Guest55

Re: Cambridge interview prep

Post by Guest55 »

I've more experience with Oxford arch - they might give her an artefact. Have you looked on TSR?

Here: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showth ... ry_content" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

You may find these are helpful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICmuDCpDARQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUwN6GI-0EQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
solimum

Post by solimum »

Let her think about archaeological sites she has visited - hopefully there is one locally she can talk about (Roman, medieval, tudor, prehistoric? ). She needs to enthuse about the subject. What would she do if presented with a random artefact? - maybe look at the British Museum 100 objects series and choose a favourite one (The Lewis Chessmen? The Rosetta Stone) and a bit about "Why?". They won't be looking for something necessarily polished, just a spark of interest and enthusiasm. Or is it the science of the discoveries that interests her?
KB

Post by KB »

Depending where you are based is there a local archeological society she could contact and ask if someone would be prepared to help her by having a 'mock' interview? Even just a conversation about why she wants to study the subject and any local sites etc would be practice talking to a stranger about the subject.
I've the school be prepared to put out a request for any parents who might be in a position to help?

I assume she has carefully been through the university web site - there are some admissions tips and also check the department and college sites for clues!
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Does she know how dig ?

Not a flippant remark as you may think.

Can she dig intellectuality ?- the topic is not important -she does not have to be right but show an ability to show that she can consider many conjectures/hypothesis simultaneously and explore them.

Good luck, my daughter is thinking of doing the same or theology.

btw what A levels is your DD doing ?

Mine wants to do; A level; maths, geography and RS - will that do ?
solimum

Post by solimum »

Yes what's needed is a combination of having something useful to say, and having the confidence to speak to complete strangers.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

We had an arrangement with another local school to 'swap' candidates and give them practice intervews. It worked well and might be worth exploring?
Amber

Post by Amber »

solimum wrote:Yes what's needed is a combination of having something useful to say, and having the confidence to speak to complete strangers.
Plus, I believe, the willingness to listen to others and use what they are saying to advance your own thinking without feeling intimidated or belittled if your opinions are challenged.

Catseye: a friend's son does Archaeology (not at C) and either needed or was encouraged to take History.
avidskier

Post by avidskier »

Thanks for all your replies so far! Very helpful.
She is taking English Lit, History and GovPol A Levels.. but from what I understand History plus anything is fine.
I will check she knows how to dig -for research :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now