11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Catseye

Do you need Further Maths or Economic A level do Economics

Post by Catseye »

.............at degree level ?
supermummy

Re: Do you need Further Maths or Economic A level do Economi

Post by supermummy »

Short answer no although fm even at AS would be preferable for the more competitive courses.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You need to check on university websites - some prefer F Maths

https://university.which.co.uk/subjects/economics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Economics is not always needed. You can check all the degree courses from the link above :)
KB

Post by KB »

Small addition to Guest's advice -

UG Economics courses have varying emphasis on maths, human geography, finance etc etc which partly explains differences in entry requirements.

Some courses are very popular so if something is stated as 'preferred' on the entry requirement it could be difficult to get an offer without it unless there are extenuating circumstances.

It depends on individual circumstances but many universities offer Economics plus another subject ( or visa versa) which can be less competitive. I
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I know two siblings , one has just left Cambridge after reading Economics. This student had the opportunity to do GCSE, AS and A2 Economics at school but chose not to but still got an offer.

The younger one also chose not to and also got an offer and is there now. DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

DG - there is more than one uni offering an Economics degree.

There's enough obsession about Oxbridge on here - it's not THE place to go for every degree you know ...
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

It happens to be the example I know. Cateye asked the question and I gave the example.

Had it been another university would that have been ok?

Was it not supposed to mention it because it was Cambridge?

I also know two students who turned down Maths offers from Cambridge for Imperial and one who turned down Music at Cambridge for Nottingham and one who dropped out of Maths at Oxford to move to Warwick.

Does this qualify me for knowing about other universities other than Oxbridge?

My visits to other universities has reached double digits in the past two years. Does that qualify me? DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The question had already been answered - you did not need to quote which uni it was.

I think other people on here have far more experience in advising numerous students on University applications over many years.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Please stop bickering.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I think you actually ought to avoid Economics A level if you want to do Economics at what you might call a 'top' university. Firstly, other subjects might be better regarded and secondly, I heard from an admissions tutor that if you do do it, universities will ask you to get an A or A* in it and if you don't do it, the offer might well be lower all round.

Someone yesterday was telling me of a relative hoping to do PPE at university but was doing no Maths at A level. This surprised me; the YP in question is only in Y11 ATM so I don't know whether an offer is likely to be forthcoming on that basis but I told the person to check before A level choices were finalised.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now