What happens?

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
MCLC

What happens?

Post by MCLC »

How does it work from allocation day onwards if we don't get our first, second, third choice etc? Who holds the data for waiting list positions at that point in March?

Thank you!
kenyancowgirl

Re: What happens?

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Have a look at the website of the Council you reside in. I suspect they have the information on there.

Broadly speaking it is the LEA in your area who holds the waiting lists for any school you have listed higher on your CAF than the school you are allocated. In some areas you are automatically added to these waiting lists - in others you have to tell them - you need to find out what it is in your area. The waiting lists are usually maintained in this way until the end of the Christmas term, at which point it usually goes to the school to maintain themselves and you would have to let them know you wanted to remain on the waiting list.

It is important that you accept whatever school you are offered, even if you don't like it. Otherwise you may well find yourself in the position of having no school come September as the Council are only obliged to offer you a school (hopefully one you have listed) but if you do not meet the entry criteria for any of those, just "a" school...not multiple offers for various schools for you to choose, so accept whatever is offered and then go on waiting lists or notify you intend to appeal etc.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

MCLC wrote:How does it work from allocation day onwards if we don't get our first, second, third choice etc? Who holds the data for waiting list positions at that point in March?

Thank you!
All this should be explained under the 'admissions' tab of each school and in the composite prospectus which the relevant LA publishes - your own LA's booklet / website, if all the schools for which you have expressed a preference are within your own area.

As an example: in Essex and Southend, all waiting lists are maintained by the LA until the end of August. After that, most / all of the academies take over responsibility for their own lists. It may be different in other areas - you really do have to look at what applies for each of the relevant schools.

Cross-posted with KCG :)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
MCLC

Post by MCLC »

Thank you both. We're in Wandsworth so I should look at Wandsworth council website? We have three grammar schools on our list inc Tiffin.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

MCLC wrote:Thank you both. We're in Wandsworth so I should look at Wandsworth council website? We have three grammar schools on our list inc Tiffin.
You need to look both at the Wandsworth booklet / site and the admissions information for the individual schools. Wandsworth will not have the admissions details for Tiffin (as it is in the London Borough of Kingston), for example.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
MCLC

Post by MCLC »

Thank you. So Wandsworth council will only have information regarding the process for Wandsworth schools? For the schools in different Boroughs I'll need to look at the individual schools websites?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Yes. Otherwise they would have to have the details for every local authority in the country.
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Try this booklet:

http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/downloads/ ... 013/200086" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

It is a bit complicated. Say I'm in Bromley and my first two choices are Kent School 1 and Kent School 2. Someone else in Kent makes the same two choices, and we are both allocated School 2 on 1 March. Bromley says you're automatically added to the waiting list of a higher preference - no indication that this has to be a Bromley school. In Kent, on the other hand, I believe you have to ask to be added? So Bromley presumably makes the request to Kent on my behalf, and it's Kent that manages the waiting list. Suppose my son gets to the top of the list and is offered a place, would Kent notify Bromley which would then notify me?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

If you are not sure of the process for your area, (which will be clearly listed on the same website where you accessed the school application information), then look at the website again and/or contact your own admissions area to find out the process in your area.

Far better for you to do your own searching than ask a group of strangers to do the searching for you!