The Latymer School vs Woodford County High School for Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
josh_oris

The Latymer School vs Woodford County High School for Girls

Post by josh_oris »

Hi All,

I am not sure the best place to post this question in order to attract right level of advice because both schools in question belong to different region. However, any advice will be appreciated on this forum.

We are trying to choose between The Latymer School and Woodford County High School for Girls for my daughter. She is ranked among the top 70 in WCHS, 193 to 450 in Latymer (we are in catchment and I am 90% certain she is closer to 193 and will be offered admission because we are actually expecting band A given her pre-exam performances).

I am in dilemma on which of the two schools is better, both schools are within 30 to 45 minutes journey and I do not particularly mind whether the school is mixed or girls only. What I am after is better of the two; both academically and extra-curriculum activities. DD is sporty and like challenges. DD is leaning towards WCHS and I think that is because she was captivated during their open day, and Latymer open day did not have same effect on her. Although, she is open to both.

Most information I find shows Latymer is better, however, the data from government secondary school comparison web site (https://www.gov.uk/school-performance-tables" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) available from the link below shows otherwise. Please advise?

https://ibb.co/jbW7Q6

Regards
Tinkers

Re: The Latymer School vs Woodford County High School for Gi

Post by Tinkers »

I think at this stage it is a bit of a mute point since you will have already put in the CAF.

You will get which ever school you put highest that you qualified for. If you dont get whichever of these you put first, I guess it might swing your decision whether to stay on the waiting list or stick with what you are allocated. If you were to try and change prefercnes now you would likely be considered to be a ‘late applicant’ and would risk not getting any school on your CAF (if that is what you were thinking of doing).
josh_oris

Post by josh_oris »

Tinkers wrote:I think at this stage it is a bit of a mute point since you will have already put in the CAF.

You will get which ever school you put highest that you qualified for. If you dont get whichever of these you put first, I guess it might swing your decision whether to stay on the waiting list or stick with what you are allocated. If you were to try and change prefercnes now you would likely be considered to be a ‘late applicant’ and would risk not getting any school on your CAF (if that is what you were thinking of doing).

Thank you for your response. I am not intending to change priority now. In CAF, I put WCHS first and Latymer second and I have confirmed from authoritative source that I can request to be placed on the Latymer waiting list even after been offered WCHS. So, I am sure about how to do it without causing any problem. My main question is:
"which of the two schools, The Latymer School and Woodford County High School, is better both academically and in extra-curriculum activities?"
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Maybe someone could merge the identical threads.
scary mum
neo1232

Post by neo1232 »

josh_oris - Both school is academically really good , here and there difference should not make too much difference and it does not give any kind of guarantee towards your child performance in GCSE or A level.

Other criteria you can add is , One school seems more diverse then compare to other in terms of ethnic profile distribution - for me it does not matter but some parents it may
and Single Gender vs Mixed Gender - some feel one is better compare to others -

Finally go with you and your daughter's heart - I am sure she will do well !
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now