NLC scrapping 11+?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ilelo

Re: NLC scrapping 11+?

Post by ilelo »

Thanks everyone.

@squareofthewicket, super helpful link. I've only looked at the websites of those we are interested in.
JessieDee

Post by JessieDee »

There are parents out there happily paying £70/hr or more for tutoring. Having asked around for my own family, I know that even though the NL Consortium schools are saying that their new tests are 'untutorable' everyone I know will still be getting their children tutored.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Actually there are tutors charging £180 per hour for certain schools. Type Henrietta Barnet tutor and see what it comes up with. Some ex teachers from Merchant Taylors.....

DG
JessieDee

Post by JessieDee »

Daogroupie wrote:Actually there are tutors charging £180 per hour for certain schools. Type Henrietta Barnet tutor and see what it comes up with. Some ex teachers from Merchant Taylors.....

DG
I can quite believe that. In central London Oxbridge graduates can command hundreds of pounds an hour...
It is very worrying that more and more 'tuition centres' are springing up too. Children are just being given worksheets or computer-based activities with no guidance or teaching. One mother I know was told her child would be taught by a fully qualified teacher in a class of no more than 8 (which I think is too many in any case) and ended up in a class of 16. More troubling was the fact that the 'teacher' had no teaching qualifications at all and - no security clearance!!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Did she have a contract? I am sure she can get a refund it if was not what was promised. DG
leanmeamum

Post by leanmeamum »

Few of the East London/Essex schools have also started similar parent surveys with a view to reducing 11+ exam stress. It is a long survey with lots of questions about the 11+ exams taken by your child
ilelo

Post by ilelo »

They've published their familiarisation paper, unfortunately (IMO) they've gone the CEM route. A highly pressured exam format considering they were looking to reduce children's stress levels.

The paper is here http://www.london11plus.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

So just as I predicted back in October they have gone CEM.

So no standard format English and Maths or Creative Writing.

CEM is great as a first round to get the numbers down which is the way HBS and DAO are using it but they both use standard format English and Maths and Creative Writing as a second round.

Hard to imagine why they would think that short timed sections where you can't go back would be less stressful than their prevoius format which allowed plenty of time for thinking.

So now preps will have to teach the two different formats.

The female private schools have not previously done NVR. How much focus are preps going to put on it when Habs, NLCS, St Albans and Highgate are not using it?

It will be interesting to hear how the preps will respond. DG
ilelo

Post by ilelo »

If the prep schools start preparing kids for this, I wonder if it will significantly increase the number of prep school children going through to 2nd round of HBS, DAO and likes. It kind of makes it "tutor-proof" as they will have been taught to the test in school :D

Don't know why I'm irritated by them not setting their own paper or making it less obvious it is CEM considering people pay to sit the exam.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I loved their papers. They were excellent.

CEM is the most tutorable format I have ever encountered. Even CEM themselves have stopped saying it is tutorproof.

I don't think the preps will start early enough for their students to be able to get through the first round of DAO and HBS. They would need to start in Y5 and also the summer holidays will be a big problem for them as both CEMs are in the first three days of September.

The bigger problem for them is going to be the two different formats. Will parents who want Habs, St Albans, NLCS, MT, Westminster, City and Highgate want their students to be working on CEM?

Those who want St Pauls girls are already using CEM as an online first round. Wycombe Abbey also use CEM. DG
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now