6th form

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
moon78

6th form

Post by moon78 »

My DD has taken C in all 3 science subjects(kendrick school). the school has given economics, english literature and geography. she doesn't like english literature. she likes to take chemistry, maths. The school says she didn't meet the entry requirements. She likes chemistry a lot. she wants to do chemistry. The schools are looking for the grades in gcse. She is bit stressed has well. The current report (year 11) says she is in the band 4. she is worrying about her university as well whether she can get into any russell group or not.
scary mum

Re: 6th form

Post by scary mum »

You sound in a bit of a panic, but I think I understand that your daughter is in year 11? There is still some time to improve but chemistry A level is very hard & would usually require a 7 or 8 I would have thought. And a Russell Group university isn't necessarily the best place for all subjects. I would take the advice of the teachers, though. Would a BTEC in chemistry be a possibility?
scary mum
solimum

Post by solimum »

Trying to understand this - do I take it your daughter is not predicted high enough grades in her science GCSEs to be allowed to stay on at her current school to study Maths & Chemistry, and that the school has "chosen" other A levels for her? Or is she already in the sixth form doing A levels she hates ?

If the latter it's probably too late to move elsewhere this year but very many pupils move to another school/college after Yr 12 and restart new 2-year courses. If she really, really wants to do chemistry she would I'm sure be able to apply somewhere else for A level with C grades - or maybe look at Btec courses which can suit some learners better and still provide routes into university if that's what she wants. But don't let the school force her to spend two years (well,. 18 months really) studying something she really hates
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

The problem is that Chemistry A level is generally accepted as being one of the hardest A levels - it is significantly harder than at GCSE. The school are pointing out that if she is currently on a C at GCSE, she is going to find it very, very hard to cope at A level. She - and you - need to think very carefully about her aspirations and ideas and maybe consider alternative ideas - of which there are hundreds - and also consider alternative universities to the RG ones - which, are not always what they are cracked up to be.
pixiequeen

Post by pixiequeen »

There is still time to improve, but your DD needs to start now. Get her to do as many past papers as possible. She needs to mark them, revise any areas she got wrong and do them again - and ask the teachers for as much help as possible.

If her actual GCSE grades are good enough, will the school change its mind?

Definicely look for an alternative sixth-form place instead. Many will accept Cs at GCSE (round here they do anyway). You often don't need to confirm which school you are attending until GCSE results day in August
RedVelvet

Post by RedVelvet »

I'd make sure she and you concentrate her efforts on getting her best GCSE grades. Her A level choices can be confirmed later. My son said quite a few people changed their A level options once they got the GCSE results and they were able to change within the first few weeks of sixth form too. Make sure she's going to make the general entry requirements and works hard in the subjects she enjoys. What's the reason she wants to do Chemistry? Does she have a particular career in mind? Also I'm not sure at 15 my son knew what a Russel group university was, I wonder where that anxiety is coming from?
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

She will need a B in any subject she wishes to take at A level at Kendrick. There is still time to focus on raising her grade if she really loves the subject. Talk to her teachers at parents consultation next week and see what they say.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

moon78 wrote:My DD has taken C in all 3 science subjects(kendrick school). the school has given economics, english literature and geography. she doesn't like english literature. she likes to take chemistry, maths. The school says she didn't meet the entry requirements. She likes chemistry a lot. she wants to do chemistry. The schools are looking for the grades in gcse. She is bit stressed has well. The current report (year 11) says she is in the band 4. she is worrying about her university as well whether she can get into any russell group or not.
I wouldn't have thought Kendrick have dictated any A levels choices as such, so I guess these have just been suggested as what might suit her best. My DD is also in year 11 so going throught the process ourselves and there has been no mention of the school telling girls what subjects to take, they are very much in the mind that girls should doing subjects they like and are good at. I suspect this is more of what is going on here.

My sister teaches chemistry elsewhere. Personally she wouldn't recommend anyone taking chemistry A level if they aren't going to get at least a B/6 and preferably an A/7. Her school next year will require a 7 in chemistry gcse to be able to take A level. It is not an easy subject by any means.

As RM says, the school require a B is any subject you want to take at A level and probably with good reason. If she really wants to do A level chemistry she will have to go elsewhere. If she wants to do maths and chemistry then depending on what else she would like, The UTC might be a good option.

I personally wouldnt worry about RG unis. There are some very good unis that arent. The second best uni for the subject my DD wants to do is at a non RG but very well repsected uni (I was surrpised it wasn’t, but I dont look up these things). When she looked at it, she didn't realise how well ranked it was. It certainly isn't what she is looking for when it comes to unis.

Does she know what she might want to do after A levels?
2littleboys

Post by 2littleboys »

Hi moon78

My eldest son is taking his GCSE's next year. I have just checked his school's requirements to study chemistry at A level and it is obtaining a level 7 at GCSE.

Also (and I mean this in the nicest possible way) don't get hung up on Oxbridge or Russell Group Universities. Let your daugher decide for herself (with your help and her teachers advice of course) what the right course is for her.

I think it must be a bit like choosing a primary or secondary school-there is no such thing as "the best school" it is whatever is the best fit for that particular child.

Best of luck to you and your daughter.

2 little boys x
KB

Post by KB »

She certainly shouldnt be opting for A levels that don't interest her but equally it is unwise to ignore advice about whether she is suited to A level study in a particular subject.

If the subjects she enjoys a those she is doing best in don't coincide sufficiently to choose 3 A levels then it may well be worth looking at alternative options post 16.

At this stage the Russell Group issue is an unhelpful red herring. There are increasingly good non university options post 18 and even for those who decide on that route the Russell Group institutions are by no means the best options for many ( probably the majority of) students.

At post 16 and post 18 it is much better to an educational path that she will enjoy and achieve well in than feel under pressure to follow a particular route and then be struggling with grades or on a course that adds nothing to future prospects..