IB schools?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mm23292

IB schools?

Post by mm23292 »

Looking ahead here..but we are potentially interested in IB, does anyone here have any experience, positive or otherwise?! It seems school choice is quite limited beyond Haliebury & Wellington, and we are not interested in boarding or overly long commutes.
The new Chalfont Independant (ex Newland Park) offers the Middle years Programme, but I gather the MYP is not offered in many UK schools at all. If anyone here is familiar with the school or the IB in general, would love to hear your feedback. Thank you!
scary mum

Re: IB schools?

Post by scary mum »

You might be better posting on the Independent Schools section?
scary mum
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The Floyd was running the IB alongside A levels but there was not enough interest to run it this year. Looking at their website it also seems not on offer for next year either.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Two of your premier private schools in the NW are bailing out of IB .

I have heard on the grape vine both MGS and MHSG ( Manchester high school for girls) no longer have sufficient numbers since introduction of the new linear more robust A levels.

Withington Girls school our most elite school never bothered with them.

Numbers doing Cambridge pre-university exams is also plummeting.

Only international schools will persist with these IBs , pre-u A levels will wither on the vine.
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

I know of a few grammars (Dartford and Tonbridge) not far from me that do the IB, so it isn’t just Independents that do it. Due to being in Kent that won’t help you but I don’t think they have any plans for ceasing the IB. I think there is a fair bit of movement between sixth forms depending on whether someone wants to do IB or A Levels, but at these schools they certainly seem very popular.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

PettswoodFiona wrote:I know of a few grammars (Dartford and Tonbridge) not far from me that do the IB, so it isn’t just Independents that do it. Due to being in Kent that won’t help you but I don’t think they have any plans for ceasing the IB. I think there is a fair bit of movement between sixth forms depending on whether someone wants to do IB or A Levels, but at these schools they certainly seem very popular.
I think IBs would be ideal for my DD 'Jackie of all trades but not a mistress of none. '

But her state grammar( Altrincham Grammar Girl's School ) do not offer them :|
mm23292

Post by mm23292 »

Thank you, yes I do think the new A level format will shake things up a bit.
Have read some interesting viewpoints, and IB does seem the better all-rounder, although it does seem that the uni points required are a little stern, so perhaps a handicap if you're not quite the Jack or Jackie of all trades supreme!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Interesting (if that is the word for it :lol: ) thread on TSR, started by someone doing A levels but thinking it would be better to move to somewhere offering the IB, because a) they weren't being stretched enough academically and b) they thought that the extracurricular activities and volunteering requirements were a good idea.

Guess what several people suggested re 'b)'...?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now