No primary school place, home educating and prep 11 plus

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Tweet

No primary school place, home educating and prep 11 plus

Post by Tweet »

We have just moved to Amersham a month ago and is currently home educating my children as no available primary school place at present. My oldest is in year 5 and I realise we
have come to a selective grammar school area. She loves reading and has a wide vocabulary but hates Maths or can deal with it somehow. Any suggestions on how to prepare her for eleven plus? Suggestions on how to register her for the test as we are currently not in school.
anotherdad

Re: No primary school place, home educating and prep 11 plus

Post by anotherdad »

Hi

Have a look at the link below.

https://www.buckscc.gov.uk/services/edu ... -timeline/

From that page:

"If your child goes to any other school online registration opens on 1 May 2018, 3pm. The registration deadline is 28 June 2018, 3pm."

If your daughter is not in a Bucks primary school by then, you should register her online in the same way that parents of non Bucks LA primary schools have to. As for suggestions of preparation, if you haven't done so already, have a browse through this forum for general advice on DIY preparation, although be aware that the test format is changing for your daughter's year and very little detail has been released so far.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/preparation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; there is some advice re general prep here but as anotherdad says we don't have full details of the changes to the bucks test so keep an eye on the forum - bound to be plenty of discussion about it
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Tweet wrote:We have just moved to Amersham a month ago and is currently home educating my children as no available primary school place at present. My oldest is in year 5 and I realise we have come to a selective grammar school area. She loves reading and has a wide vocabulary but hates Maths or can deal with it somehow. Any suggestions on how to prepare her for eleven plus? Suggestions on how to register her for the test as we are currently not in school.
Really? There must be a place somewhere - https://www.buckscc.gov.uk/media/451004 ... 271117.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do you mean there is just not a place at a school you want? I thought Chalfont Valley was in Amersham ...

Have you appealed for a place?
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

Guest55 wrote:
Tweet wrote:We have just moved to Amersham a month ago and is currently home educating my children as no available primary school place at present. My oldest is in year 5 and I realise we have come to a selective grammar school area. She loves reading and has a wide vocabulary but hates Maths or can deal with it somehow. Any suggestions on how to prepare her for eleven plus? Suggestions on how to register her for the test as we are currently not in school.
Really? There must be a place somewhere - https://www.buckscc.gov.uk/media/451004 ... 271117.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Do you mean there is just not a place at a school you want? I thought Chalfont Valley was in Amersham ...

Have you appealed for a place?
Presumably yes, she means not in a school they want. Good idea in my opinion, to home ed rather than attend a school you don't want your child to attend - a much better alternative than putting up with it. You are right about appealing though, if there is a school they particularly want.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Yamin151 wrote:Good idea in my opinion, to home ed rather than attend a school you don't want your child to attend - a much better alternative than putting up with it.
+1
If my children were young now I would not send them to school at all until they were at least 7. The Early Years and KS1 curriculum is imho a travesty of what childhood ought to look like.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

We're in Birmingham so can't help with how to register but we home educated ds from May of year 4 to the end of year 6. He's now in year 7 at grammar school.

I'd encourage you to embrace it and enjoy the freedom! Find local groups and home ed activities and let them do all the things they couldn't do at school! As for 11 plus prep, it can be done more intensively as you don't have to fit it round school. We started May of year 5 and for that term (and some of the summer holidays) his school work was tailored round the 11 plus. It worked for us. I felt that the prep didn't take over our life for a year or two as it does for some people yet we probably managed as many hours over a shorter period.

As for resources - is your 11 plus CEM? If so the Schofield and Sim mental maths books are ideal.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

PS if you stick with home ed for year 6 you get to miss the SATS! My son seems to have been perfectly well prepared for grammar without them. And he's settled better than some of the other boys so I wouldn't worry about that.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now