Wilmington higher on CAF or ouststanding new free school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Rsinsinwar

Wilmington higher on CAF or ouststanding new free school

Post by Rsinsinwar »

Hi All,

Urgent help to choose between Wilmington grammar boys ( ofsted rated good) or a new free secondary school ( ofsted rating outstanding) near office and our old address.

This on the pretext of my son’s score too close for in area cut off for Dartford.

How come Wilmington despite being selective not achieved an outstanding status.

Is it worth leaving the current outstanding school for Wilmington grammar in case he doesn’t get offered at Dartford Grammar?

Advice from All who have kids in Dartford Grammar schools will be highly appreciated. We couldn’t attaebd the Wilmington open day/evening to have a personal view either.

I have to send Kent admissions a change on my CAF preference latest by tomorrow based on all of you view Whether to keen Wilmington higher than a new Free outstanding secondary .

Thanks in advance.
hermanmunster

Re: Wilmington higher on CAF or ouststanding new free school

Post by hermanmunster »

I wouldn't choose a school based on whether it is ofsted good or outstanding, being a selective school doesn't make it outstanding. Which school did you like when you visited?
Rsinsinwar

Post by Rsinsinwar »

We have only seen one open evening that of Dartford Grammar school. And we were totally satisfied and moved from tower hamlets to Dartford. But now wondering if Wilmington school is that good to leave current free secondary which not very Academic but more convenient for the entire family as I have 2 children in primary there.

Parents having Wilmington experience can help me with reasoning?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I'm not clear why this has come up now rather than before you out the CAF in, but I wouldn't say that choosing a school based on what strangers on the internet think is a terribly sound idea. Maybe tell people something about your son - what sports/activities he likes, that sort of thing? No-one can just say "this is the best school", it depends on too many things.

I hope you manage to come to a decision that you are happy with.
Last edited by scary mum on Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
scary mum
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Maybe I have misunderstood. Are you saying that you would have to move house to attend this new free school, and that you're considering changing your preference from a local school (Wilmington) to this other school in Tower Hamlets?

If the free school is also local, but you didn't like it enough before you put in your CAF to list it higher than Wilmington, what's changed now? Is it just the Ofsted rating or is there something else?

Also, what are the admissions criteria for the free school? If you put in a new CAF now would your application to the free school still be "on time" or would it be considered a late application? If it's not in Kent you might have missed the deadline.
Rsinsinwar

Post by Rsinsinwar »

scary mum wrote:I'm not clear why this has one up now rather than before you out the CAF in, but I wouldn't say that choosing a school based on what strangers on the internet think is a terribly sound idea. Maybe tell people something about your son - what sports/activities he likes, that sort of thing? No-one can just say "this is the best school", it depends on too many things.

I hope you manage to come to a decision that you are happy with.

Thanks for the responses,
Ds is neither very sport nor too Academic. He is a sharp mind but not very disciplined.
He does have an engineering bent of mind. Loves anything and everything about planes and cars and trains - I think speed is the common factor.

He enjoys Golf, athletics and Swimming. He also like to make comics.

Wilmington sounds (from some forum update) like a less disciplined school.

A good balance of discipline and freedom is what I think will suit him.
Rsinsinwar

Post by Rsinsinwar »

streathammum wrote:Maybe I have misunderstood. Are you saying that you would have to move house to attend this new free school, and that you're considering changing your preference from a local school (Wilmington) to this other school in Tower Hamlets?

If the free school is also local, but you didn't like it enough before you put in your CAF to list it higher than Wilmington, what's changed now? Is it just the Ofsted rating or is there something else?

Also, what are the admissions criteria for the free school? If you put in a new CAF now would your application to the free school still be "on time" or would it be considered a late application? If it's not in Kent you might have missed the deadline.

Hi,
He already is at the free school primary which also has a secondary. I like it over all , but it’s not academic enough. Ds will get admission preference there as sibling priority from our current Dartford home.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Has the free school got any GCSE results yet? If not, then it is a gamble and I's stick with Wilmington.

He'll need good results in Maths and Physics to pursue Engineering.
Rsinsinwar

Post by Rsinsinwar »

Guest55 wrote:Has the free school got any GCSE results yet? If not, then it is a gamble and I's stick with Wilmington.

He'll need good results in Maths and Physics to pursue Engineering.

No, they haven’t. But Wilmington ofsted teaching rating is Good - does anyone have any inputs to give on how it reflects on pupils learning? I am basically looking for some sure and affirmation from currently going parents as to how they felt before and after getting admissions.......Does Good ofsted rating affect them? Positively or negatively?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Good is good enough - without 'real' results I think outstanding is meaningless.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now