Driving Theory

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Blitz

Driving Theory

Post by Blitz »

DD has her driving theory test coming up.

Any tips, especially with the hazard perception test?

Any tricky theory questions to watch out for?
scary mum

Re: Driving Theory

Post by scary mum »

For hazard perception - practice, practice, practice. Both of mine failed on hazard perception the first time. The other theory stuff is just a case of learn it & use common sense. I think there are apps with practice questions.
scary mum
KB

Post by KB »

+1
Hazard perception is definitely the tricky part. It's about correct technique. If you are too quick it won't register.
Find practice apps, sites etc and keep practicing!
Amber

Post by Amber »

I am usually the most non-interventionist parent about exams etc but my tack changed for this particular one and I told my children I would fund one attempt and if they failed they had to pay for subsequent attempts themselves. This is because it is aimed at the entire population and the only way to pass it is to mug up and practice. If you don't, you will not pass, end of. Happily the two that have done it did pass first time and the one who is still too young understands the rules of engagement. :twisted:
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

DS1 passed the day after his 17th. He downloaded an app and just practised but, technique is key. He scored worst on hazard perception (but enough to pass) because he was too quick for the computer to register - ie he would click when he saw the horse in the field going towards the road but it needed to be closer to the road to get a score. He finished really early and everyone else in the room was on their third or fourth attempt and seemed to think he would have failed. It's not difficult, it's just practise!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

We had a free interactive CD but there are plenty of online free sites to practise.

I tried the hazard bit and I agree about learning when to click; I tended to click too early. The pass only lasts two years so it's a good idea to make sure you have enough time to pass the practical. We had a couple of cancellations owing to 'bad weather' - the fact that DS had already driven over to the Test centre was rather galling at the time. Then you have to wait for another appointment and when that is also cancelled the time adds up.
Blitz

Post by Blitz »

Hazard perception is hard. We are both getting the knack of when a how to click.

This free website is great: https://www.theory-test-online.co.uk/fr ... t-demo.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Are there any other free ones that people would recommend? We need more clips!

I am saying 'we' as I am enjoying doing them and finding out the gaps in my own theory knowledge. It is over 30 years since I had to learn a few road signs.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Ds1 failed first theory test on the hazard perception section ( he flew through the actual theory bit) it's definitely harder than you think. Don't click too soon or too often seems to be the general consensus.

His driving instructor lent him some DVLA cd roms / DVDs which were very good.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
um

Post by um »

Ds1 did well in the hazard perception part (I attribute this to playing far too many computer games when younger, giving him rather fast reflexes on the keyboard).
He failed on the other questions.
Managed to get 3 Medicine offers but failed his driving theory test :lol:
So clearly it's not actually that easy to pass...he did pass on the second attempt.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

The point is um, if you're too quick you'll fail the hazard perception so fast reflexes don't necessarily help. You have to practise the theory more than we ever did - my son used the app over the summer - I got used to him telling me where I was going wrong! He has his mock practical test in a fortnight...the new test is so much harder than the old driving test...I know I'd fail!!!