Move to Lincs

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Hope4Ken

Move to Lincs

Post by Hope4Ken »

Contemplating a move to Grantham as my job is being relocated to Kings Cross, London (and can commute in from a few days a week), which actually seems much better than West Bucks (it's 1.5 hours commute - and not a direct line). Am interested in the Kesteven & Grammar Girls school and have read their admissions policy for Yr7 entry. I can't find anywhere in it that policy that states when we need to be in catchment by specifically? The Lincs admissions site says Dec but given the test is in September, results in October, I would imagine one ought to be in catchment prior to the results (as I know grammar areas have really strict rules to avoid Grammar ''tourists''). Thanks.
hermanmunster

Re: Move to Lincs

Post by hermanmunster »

Date is indeed
Secondary transfer – 12 noon, 15 December 2017
You certainly can take the test in Sept and get the results in October - would then have to put the school on the CAF by the end of October and be pretty sure you will be able to manage the move by mid Dec 2017.

Lincolnshire doesn't get too much problem in the way of 11+ tourism (bit like North Yorks / Lancashire) - bit out of the way and no other 11 plus areas within easy reach :wink: which I suppose brings up the question - is the move to Grantham JUST for the schools?
Hope4Ken

Post by Hope4Ken »

Schools is a priority but we are wanting to buy a family home. I have seen some lovely houses 4bed detached and great value for money. So the move is strategic for us. We're visiting Grantham next week. How is this town? I assume it is ok and there are at least some places to go have dinner given its excellent transport location. Thanks for the replies.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Personal view!

hmm reckon you really need to visit, I pondered on moving there some years ago but while I liked visiting somehow I didn't really fancy living there. It is fairly isolated with a train line going through the middle of it and the A1 nearby. Property is definitely cheaper than in lots of areas.

TBH I haven't been for a few years, used to go quite often. mainly with kids in tow so it was Belton House, Garden Centres and play areas so can't really comment on other places to eat. Used to have a fair few people commuting south and if the trains are running well then the journey is quite easy, can also get to Nottingham on the train.

If you are moving with GS in mind and possibly have other children, need to have a look at the nonselective options in the area too.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I have a memory that it was once voted the most boring town in England, but I have to admit that I have never actually investigated the place for myself :lol: . Where I spent a lot of my youth was once said to have the lowest collective IQ in England, but I subsequently worked somewhere where one of the neighbouring areas would have cast doubt on that...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
solimum

Post by solimum »

You might find this article entertaining (and it does give hotel recommendations, too...!)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/desti ... -grantham/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hope4Ken

Post by Hope4Ken »

Thank you. I have lived in some fairly salubrious and rough places in South East London in my lifetime so I am hoping Grantham isn't as bad as that! The news article on Maggie Thatcher's birthplace was quite an interesting and honest read, thanks for that!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Hope4Ken wrote:Thank you. I have lived in some fairly salubrious and rough places in South East London in my lifetime so I am hoping Grantham isn't as bad as that! The news article on Maggie Thatcher's birthplace was quite an interesting and honest read, thanks for that!
Not rough - just a bit isolated and not so much going on.
I think if you have lived in small towns elsewhere it is OK but if you are used to being in or near cities then might find it is a fair trek to get to a large city - would be Leicester or Nottingham (Lincoln nice but not v big).
Having said that at least the transport links are there and you can get places - unlike Boston, I have known people move there because a) they got a job there b) the property was cheap (could by acres of it for the price of a flat in London) c) there was a grammar school. They didn't tend to stay that long.

PS - go an visit, you might love it!
wonderwoman

Post by wonderwoman »

My brother lives in Grantham and the rest of my family are fairly local including a commuter to London.
We have lived in Lincs for years. I would look around in the local area. There are some lovely villages with excellent pubs, very close to Grantham and Newark for the A1 and mainline. IMO Grantham has declined in recent years and areas are definitely quite 'rough' for want of a better description.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

WW - yes the villages are lovely , would be tempted by those even now we have moved much further away. Interesting to here rest of town has gone downhill a bit , I really haven't been for years :(