Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sheffjan

Sheffield High School Y7 Entrance Help

Post by sheffjan »

Hi

My daughter is hoping to get into Sheffield High School next year
Shes currently in Y6 of a state school

I would be grateful for any help on what their entrance exam may be like please

The school say its not like others, which as some of the London GDST schools are in the London schools consortium is probably true

I have to think that looking at 11+ papers from GL/Letts etc must be a good thing in moderation but if anyone knows what else may be useful we'd be very grateful

Thanks

Jan
sheffjan

Re: Sheffield High School Y7 Entrance Help

Post by sheffjan »

pheww

glad its over but a bit of a high stakes day as we have no other options other than the default less than attractive local state school

did anyone elses DD do the SHS exam today?

the fact that they dont help with past papers makes the whole thing much more stressful than we had imagined

:(
samoagirl

Post by samoagirl »

Hi,

I wonder are you still connected with the 11+ website?

I was doing a google search and came across your question from a few years ago - which is exactly the one I was trying to answer today. I wonder how you/your daughter got on with Sheffield High School?

My daughter, now in Y5, has decided that she would like to apply for a scholarship to Sheffield High next year (to start 2019). She is bright and determined so I feel it is important to support her. But I'm not sure how yet. Some places say to prepare children well in advance - others say to leave well alone - that the pressure does more damage than good.

We are in a lucky situation in that the state school option is very good - so I don't feel pressurised.
But my daughter likes the self-determination of applying to a different school - and the challenge of achieving a scholarship/bursary (we couldn't afford to send her on full fees).

If you do pick this up - or if someone else 'in the know' reads this, I'd love to hear from you.

Thank you
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Sheffjan hasn’t logged into this forum since 2013 so its unlikely that they are still around.

I don’t recall anyone mentioning Sheffield High School in recent years either. Hopefully
someone can help though.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now