Dd's ski trip - clothing advice please!

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
piggys

Dd's ski trip - clothing advice please!

Post by piggys »

DD ( age 12) is going on a week's skiing with her school in the Feb half term to Northern Italy. She has not been before (apart from a couple of trial runs at the nearest snow centre) and she will require salopettes, a good jacket and so on. I am a total novice with skiing and have absolutely no idea where to get a good deal. Googling just now, it seems I can pay about £40 or £150 on the trousers alone :shock:

Anyhow if anyone has any advice or recommendations I would be grateful - FYI she is about 5 foot 5 and size 4 - 6 (or a tall v slim 12 year old). TIA.
Guest55

Re: Dd's ski trip - clothing advice please!

Post by Guest55 »

Some schools organise hire of clothing as you may not ever use it again. It might be worth an ask.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Many moons ago, when I went I hired stuff via School.

Decathlon might be worth a visit though?
piggys

Post by piggys »

Thanks both, I'll investigate... :)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

There's a sale on at Mountain Warehouse at the moment (I know nothing about ski holidays though!)
scary mum
doodles

Post by doodles »

Our local Sainbury usually has some excellent ski clothing maybe worth a look.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Mountain Warehouse is a very good option. We ski regularly and my children are mostly kitted out by them. You can buy a package (from memory... a jacket, salopettes, one pair of socks, gloves and a hat - which is no longer useful for skiing because everyone wears helmets but still good for every day use) far cheaper than getting everything separately. Also if she is still child sizes rather than adult sizes they are even cheaper.. (I think £70? Instead of £120? last year). The only (slight) downside was that we struggled to spot our children in the slopes as so many were in Mountain Warehouse outfits!
If you can't borrow from someone who's been before (we often lend out our stuff to friends) then that is likely to be your cheapest option. I've tried eBay but find Mountain Warehouse better value once everything is included.

I prefer enough ski socks to wear a new pair daily but I know plenty of people who just dry them overnight on a radiator and wear again.
Other than that, it's worth having base layer / leggings in case it's really really cold (we have years where we wear them often and other years where they don't come out of the case) and layers for the top half (t shirts and long sleeved tops). Hopefully you wouldn't need to buy any of that stuff.
The other thing that I would think is worth getting is a snood for keeping her neck warm. Goggles are essential too (some people use sunglasses. I used to but find them more uncomfortable with a helmet).
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I think you are in N London. It's absolutely worth driving up to the Hatfield Galleria to the Mountain Warehouse outlet there. She can try everything on there and decide about sizes and they often have socks etc at outlet prices. (There are also other places for ski stuff there but they are more expensive).
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

The other thing is to look out for a ski event at Aldi.....they have them around this time of year and you can get everything for basically buttons. I am not a skier but a friend of mine goes every year with her three boys - she reasons that getting stuff from Aldi is great as they are still growing so stuff doesn't fit them from one year to the next and it is good enough quality to keep them warm etc.
KB

Post by KB »

Small add on to above good advice -
It's worth buying/ borrowing decent gloves and socks as there can be more standing around with lessons on school trips and the extremities can get chilly!

Also, think about footwear for non ski time. Depending where they are staying/ planned activities walking boots can be better than trainers assuming you don't want to splash out on 'apres ski boots'.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now