11+ for Home Educated Child

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KaiNo1

11+ for Home Educated Child

Post by KaiNo1 »

First of all hello, I am new to this forum and have joined so that I can find out some information and help.

We Home Educate our daughter and live in north Kent. DD has always been educated at home by myself and my wife. We do take her education seriously and have made some big sacrifices to make this happen.

We are looking to put DD through the 11+ exams this year and have already been going through some 11+ GL test papers with her.

We would welcome any help or advise that would help us along this route that we are taking.

Kai
Last edited by hermanmunster on Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:33 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Child's name removed by moderator
Sparklecat

Re: 11+ for Home Educated Child

Post by Sparklecat »

Welcome to the forum. What kind of marks is she getting on GL papers? Any particular strengths or weaknesses? Have you considered weekly group tuition to acclimatise your daughter to classroom learning with a small room full of similarly minded children? We found it made a pleasant change to a large classroom with one or two problem children taking up much of everyone's attention.
PettswoodFiona

Re: 11+ for Home Educated Child

Post by PettswoodFiona »

The problem with North Kent is you also have the superselectives. If you are in a parish for a school like Wilmington or Weald then you just need a pass, however the former has a very small catchment so do get in touch with admissions officers to get information on last distances and if you are targetting Dartford or Tonbridge then get the score. You may also be in distance for Newstead if that is a school you think your DD might suit but that is a separate exam.

Once you know which schools you are aiming for you can know a bit better what standard you are aiming for. Mock tests can be good at identifying weaknesses and if taken in early spring before the test can mean time spent is more focused. We found the Bond and Letts ten minute tests helpful, as well as general reading to keep topping up the vocabulary.

We home educated but only for the last term of Y6 so hats off to you, it isn’t an easy task.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now