Grammar School Expansion ?

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

quasimodo

Grammar School Expansion ?

Post by quasimodo »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-42416365" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

An interesting article analysing the data demonstrating according to the article an increase in grammar school places brought on by financial pressures and parental demand.This has been my experience across the West Midlands.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Guest55

Re: Grammar School Expansion ?

Post by Guest55 »

The demand has always been there - schools are just moving to add more students to balance budgets. It's all about ££££ not demand.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

+1,

As demand is there, more grammars please.
Amber

Post by Amber »

tiffinboys wrote:+1,

I would love to see more secondary moderns. It would be great for so many more children to be branded a failure at 11. Teenagers these days are far too big for their boots and bringing most of them down a peg or two so they are aware of their own lack of potential at a young age would be a great use of resources, I feel. The recruitment crisis in teaching would be solved overnight as teachers fought to work with young people with low self esteem who believed they aspire only to low paid jobs...like teaching.

It would also be a great use of all that money we have saved via Brexit, aside from all the extra which is washing about in the NHS at the moment. Reports of a crisis there are clearly ridiculous, as that nice Mr Hunt has just said so and I believe him.

Tractor production is up this year and the potato harvest is better than ever too.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

quasimodo wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-42416365

An interesting article analysing the data demonstrating according to the article an increase in grammar school places brought on by financial pressures and parental demand.This has been my experience across the West Midlands.
Just great more segregation of goats and sheeps[cis] at the age of 10 !!

If you could show me a reliable test at that age that could predict potential as opposed to prior (tutored) attainment then I'm with you.

But you can't can you ????
loopylala

Post by loopylala »

Amber wrote: I would love to see more secondary moderns.
I would like to see them fill the empty places in existing Grammar Schools before opening up more of them. After all, there is so much demand for those schools, it shouldn't be a problem filling those places, surely.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

loopylala wrote:I would like to see them fill the empty places in existing Grammar Schools before opening up more of them. After all, there is so much demand for those schools, it shouldn't be a problem filling those places, surely.
What empty places? There are none locally.

Does not mean more GS are the way to go ....
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Agreed. In fact why not increase the number of grammar schools so that there are enough places for every single child in the country who would like to attend one? There would then no longer be any need for the divisive 11+ test or for anyone to be branded a failure at a young age... :wink:
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Surferfish wrote:

Agreed. In fact why not increase the number of grammar schools so that there are enough places for every single child in the country who would like to attend one? There would then no longer be any need for the divisive 11+ test or for anyone to be branded a failure at a young age... :wink:
I'm not sure I understand?
scary mum
squareofthewicket

Post by squareofthewicket »

Kent has 7 of the top 20 Grammar schools that have expanded since 2010 where the local authority figures shows a decline in number of pupils. Does this mean that, in Kent for every place that these super selective have added to access the additional funding, they have deprived a local state comprehensive of the same funding?

Or am I missing the point? Wouldn't be for the first time either!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now