Bucks Selection Review

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Candiamo

Bucks Selection Review

Post by Candiamo »

My son unexpectedly only got 111 in the test and I sent off the selection review straight away thinking there's no chance but nothing to lose! I've been talking to a client of mine who had the same situation a couple of years ago and her child got through this way with a similar mark. Not sure if it was a good idea to talk to her because now it's given me a bit of hope!

Just wondered if you could give me your opinion Etienne if I let you know what the review consisted of? We are in Berkshire and the head teacher supported him, but only by filling in the form, no other letter and just one line which doesn't really make sense in my opinion, but I've since realised that she doesn't really agree with the 11+ at all. She's new to the school so I feel a bit annoyed that it had to be her that did the review as the old head has known my son since reception and I'm sure would have written a much more positive review.

Grammar School Suitability 2
Attitude to learning 2

KS1 Reading L3, Writing 2A, Maths 2A
End of Year 3: Reading 3A, Writing 3C, Maths 3B
End of year 4: Reading 4.4, Writing 4.3, Maths 4.3
End of year 5: Reading 5.3, Writing 5.3, Maths 5.3

Predicted Performance by July 2018
Reading 111-120, Writing not working at GDS, Maths 111-120

NVR 2015 96
NVR 2017 122

Comment: He has ability but is currently developing a mature attitude to learning.

This is the only thing she's written and it makes no sense! I tried to discuss it with her but she fobbed me off. I don't think we've got much chance and not sure whether it's then worth appealing if we don't get through this review. His brother flew through the exam and is at grammar and neither of them were tutored. I did mention this in my section but not sure if it helps or hinders the case. He's a painfully shy boy and anxious in unfamiliar surroundings. This is my explanation of the mark on my section of the form, as he was more worried about sitting the test in a big strange school than about actually doing the test.
Guest55

Re: Bucks Selection Review

Post by Guest55 »

I'm not clear what the levels for Year 4 and Year 5 mean - they aren't in the format Bucks asked for.

The HT recommendations are not recorded for those outside the county so they will not have been submitted before the test.

I think reviews want to see progression and the NVR look low.

I wouldn't want to get your hopes up too much as I think this does not have enough evidence to be successful - sorry.

Perhaps Etienne will see it more postively?
Candiamo

Post by Candiamo »

Guest55 wrote:I'm not clear what the levels for Year 4 and Year 5 mean - they aren't in the format Bucks asked for.

The HT recommendations are not recorded for those outside the county so they will not have been submitted before the test.

I think reviews want to see progression and the NVR look low.

I wouldn't want to get your hopes up too much as I think this does not have enough evidence to be successful - sorry.

Perhaps Etienne will see it more postively?
Thanks for your reply. I think they used to say that they had to have level 5 in year 6 to get into grammar and he had 5's in year 5 so I think that's quite good. The 2015 NVR is under average but I thought the 2017 result at 122 was a good improvement especially as they did these tests with no warning to parents or children, they just appeared on the end of year report.

I'm being realistic and thinking no chance but it's hard not to be hopeful especially as I'm so sure the school is the best choice for him.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The review form asked Headteachers for new levels not old ie at age expectations, above age expectations etc. I've never seen levels expressed as decimals!
Candiamo

Post by Candiamo »

Guest55 wrote:The review form asked Headteachers for new levels not old ie at age expectations, above age expectations etc. I've never seen levels expressed as decimals!
I know. She’s not been helpful at all and her comment makes no sense.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You will need to show that the review wasn't FCO [see the appeals section for help on this] and I'd get evidence from an Ed Psych or someone other than the Head!
Candiamo

Post by Candiamo »

Guest55 wrote:You will need to show that the review wasn't FCO [see the appeals section for help on this] and I'd get evidence from an Ed Psych or someone other than the Head!
Thanks very much for your advice.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to the forum, Candiamo. :)

It would probably be best to wait for the actual outcome rather than agonise over what it might be - but, if pressed, I would tend to agree with Guest55 on the information available.

Last year only 7% of cases at review succeeded with a score of 111. Whether or not a case succeeds depends, of course, entirely on what evidence there is.

Looking at Y2-3, your son's Y3 levels are what the review panel would probably like to see at the end of Y2.

Looking at Y4-5, I'm not sure anyone outside of Berkshire will know what it all means. Now that we have "assessment without levels", different schools are using different systems.
Are you sure that "5.3" is the same as the old level 5?

As Guest55 suggests, unless this happens to be a partner school, then there is no context for the "2" recommendations.

The NVR of 96 is low. The 122 would be viewed at best as borderline.

Parents often refer to how a sibling has performed, but it's not something that can be taken into account.
Nor can the lack of tutoring. (How would one prove a negative?)

Only the review panel can give you a definitive answer, but there are several things they might point to if they wanted to turn down your case - the lack of GDS (greater depth) for Writing, for example.

If you believe grammar school to be the right place for your son, then I think you are absolutely right to challenge the result.
Admittedly, if the review turns out to be unsuccessful, then unfortunately there will be an extra hurdle at the appeal stage.

For further advice, see Section D:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=50029" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
Candiamo

Post by Candiamo »

Etienne wrote:Welcome to the forum, Candiamo. :)

It would probably be best to wait for the actual outcome rather than agonise over what it might be - but, if pressed, I would tend to agree with Guest55 on the information available.

Last year only 7% of cases at review succeeded with a score of 111. Whether or not a case succeeds depends, of course, entirely on what evidence there is.

Looking at Y2-3, your son's Y3 levels are what the review panel would probably like to see at the end of Y2.

Looking at Y4-5, I'm not sure anyone outside of Berkshire will know what it all means. Now that we have "assessment without levels", different schools are using different systems.
Are you sure that "5.3" is the same as the old level 5?

As Guest55 suggests, unless this happens to be a partner school, then there is no context for the "2" recommendations.

The NVR of 96 is low. The 122 would be viewed at best as borderline.

Parents often refer to how a sibling has performed, but it's not something that can be taken into account.
Nor can the lack of tutoring. (How would one prove a negative?)

Only the review panel can give you a definitive answer, but there are several things they might point to if they wanted to turn down your case - the lack of GDS (greater depth) for Writing, for example.

If you believe grammar school to be the right place for your son, then I think you are absolutely right to challenge the result.
Admittedly, if the review turns out to be unsuccessful, then unfortunately there will be an extra hurdle at the appeal stage.

For further advice, see Section D:
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=50029" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks very much Etienne. X
Candiamo

Post by Candiamo »

Our appeal is on Tuesday and I managed to get a decent letter from the head which I’ve included. I also got a letter from my son’s piano teacher which although it might not carry much weight, I didn’t think it would hurt as she mentions him being dedicated and always well prepared for his lesson with a natural ability. The head included practice sats scores from September, December, February and May. They have gone up each time and the May scores were Reading 120, Spag 120, Maths 113. Do you think I have any chance at all? Should I mention logistics of having 3 children at different schools? Thanks.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now