chesptow to Gloucester travel??

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
shace318

chesptow to Gloucester travel??

Post by shace318 »

Hi All

I am new to this forum,

we just moved from London to Chepstow just reyalized that wales dosent have any grammer schools hence just wondering is it worth the hassle traveling for Gloucester (of course if my DD get through the exams),
is there school bus services from Chepstow to Gloucester as I am thinking of preparing my DD for the 11+ exams.

any advice will be much appreciated

Thanks

Shace
dr.watson

Re: chesptow to Gloucester travel??

Post by dr.watson »

You’ll need to check with schools if there are people travelling from the area. Else there are trains to Gloucester.
cazien

Post by cazien »

I don't think you will have the choice of getting a train or a bus - a lad had to leave a GS in Gloucester as the train timetable changed and he couldn't get transport from Chepstow to Gloucester in time for the start of the school day. I may be wrong, but timetables are readily available for checking online. It will probably take 1.20hr+ in travel time alone, with no direct transport route. Designated GS Buses leave Lydney at (I believe) 07.25 returning at 16.35, but you would have to get her to/from Lydney. Is it worth it?
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

25 miles is a long way to travel for school. It might (just) be manageable on a normal day, but do think about after-school activities (sports, clubs etc) and the fact that your daughters' school friends won't be local. How reliable are the transport options? Will your daughter be stressed about being late, or tired from the journey?

Also, think about how you will get to parents' evenings, Christmas concerts, and so on. Will you be able to play a full role as a parent of a child at the school if you live so far away?

I wouldn't commute for 50 miles a day, and I'm as grown up as I'm likely to get. It's a big ask for a small person.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Quite a lot of pupils at my sons' school do this commute. They get a very early train from Chepstow and then a bus. I cannot understand why. And if I can't understand why they would do it for a school I rate as highly as I do STR, then I really can't understand why they would do it for any other school in the county! :wink:
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

It's really important to be able to fully be part of the school community. Knowing teachers in 4 of the grammars, it's frustrating for them trying to put on good shows/organise meetings & rehearsals, pick the best team for fixtures etc when lots of the children say they can't make it or just don't get involved due to travel issues :(
can'tthinkofone

Post by can'tthinkofone »

Waving a white flag ..... but.......I think they should have priority areas for admissions like some other LAs, such as living in Gloucestershire or being within a distance from school (as the crow flies).

As an example, here is an extract from Alcester Grammar schools admission policy:-
Priority Area: The priority area for Alcester Grammar School is based on a circle with a
radius of 16.885 miles drawn from the Fountain in Rother Street, Stratford-upon-Avon to
the County boundary south of Long Compton. In drawing a priority area in this manner,
the school is able to comply with its duty following the Greenwich Judgement (1989).
Evidence will be requested to prove that the child is resident within the priority area by
the deadline of Friday 29 December 2017. Applications from children outside this area
may not be considered in the first round of offers.
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

can'tthinkofone wrote:Waving a white flag ..... but.......I think they should have priority areas for admissions like some other LAs, such as living in Gloucestershire or being within a distance from school (as the crow flies).

As an example, here is an extract from Alcester Grammar schools admission policy:-
Priority Area: The priority area for Alcester Grammar School is based on a circle with a
radius of 16.885 miles drawn from the Fountain in Rother Street, Stratford-upon-Avon to
the County boundary south of Long Compton. In drawing a priority area in this manner,
the school is able to comply with its duty following the Greenwich Judgement (1989).
Evidence will be requested to prove that the child is resident within the priority area by
the deadline of Friday 29 December 2017. Applications from children outside this area
may not be considered in the first round of offers.
Sounds very sensible to me, wish they applied a similar system here!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now