Seven weeks to go until national offers day...

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
bellabelly

Seven weeks to go until national offers day...

Post by bellabelly »

I can't bear the waiting to hear whether my twins have got in to the local (Kent) grammar. I know none of you can do anything to speed up time but just wondering if anyone else is feeling the same way! I was ok through November and December and hardly thought about it but now it's feeling like an agonising wait!
Sorrel

Re: Seven weeks to go until national offers day...

Post by Sorrel »

Yes, quite nervous despite efforts not to think about it (and shouldn't really be on here)! It's not even as though we're that likely to get a final answer on 1 March - he won't get his first choice and may well not get the second or even the third first out of the box, though there are chances as places shuffle up...
sportsforall

Post by sportsforall »

Ditto

DD1 already at secondary (Y7) and have checked the term dates for autumn term, if DD2 doesn't get in to same school October half-term is a different week! Aargh. And yes I did know this was risk but that is one half-term that never moves.
bellabelly

Post by bellabelly »

Oh, it is so nice to hear that others are feeling jittery already - makes me feel less mad! Although of course I wish you weren't suffering too. Sorrel - are you 100% sure he won't get his first choice? Or is there a tiny glimmer of hope?

And sportsforall, yes term dates will be different if my two get offered different schools. It will be a practical nightmare, actually. Does she have a good chance do you think?

If one gets grammar school and the other not, we will try to appeal but I don't have much hope - there's absolutely no sibling priority sadly so we'll just have to talk about what happened on the day that meant his mark wasn't as it should have been...

And no, I shouldn't be on here either, just needed to vent and my husband has practically forbidden me to talk about school places / 11+ / grammar school until 1st March! :lol:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

sportsforall wrote: And yes I did know this was risk but that is one half-term that never moves.
Autumn half-term has varied for several years with some schools now having two weeks and not even the same two weeks. That's what happens when you have Academies that can choose their own dates.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Well, he technically could but it's Judd, which has a tiny number of ooc places and he's quite a few points adrift of last year's cut off. I put it down just in case though - you never know if freaky things can happen with admissions, like Chis & Sid offering everyone last year. We've got six choices so plenty of other good options. I'm still really jittery though...

Fingers firmly crossed for your boys - that's a difficult situation. Hope it will all be fine.
bellabelly wrote:Oh, it is so nice to hear that others are feeling jittery already - makes me feel less mad! Although of course I wish you weren't suffering too. Sorrel - are you 100% sure he won't get his first choice? Or is there a tiny glimmer of hope?

And sportsforall, yes term dates will be different if my two get offered different schools. It will be a practical nightmare, actually. Does she have a good chance do you think?

If one gets grammar school and the other not, we will try to appeal but I don't have much hope - there's absolutely no sibling priority sadly so we'll just have to talk about what happened on the day that meant his mark wasn't as it should have been...

And no, I shouldn't be on here either, just needed to vent and my husband has practically forbidden me to talk about school places / 11+ / grammar school until 1st March! :lol:
bellabelly

Post by bellabelly »

Still feeling jittery and still counting down the days to 1 March - even though I know it's not at all helpful...

Sorrel, you are right - always worth putting down your true first choice, just in case! We are (just) ooc for Judd but I seem to remember that they created a bulge class this year? So you never know.

Does anyone know if primary schools get told in advance about secondary offers (like they do with 11+ results)? I want to keep the whole thing very low key with my boys (esp if we're going to have to appeal for one of them) but am wondering if school might mention something to them.
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

Feeling confident as within normal area for offers, high score and school not normally over-subscribed. Would have to be offered less likely schools if not our first choice, but you don't know until you know.

But I'm fairly certain some class mates will not get their first choices; both grammar and non-selective children. We have a wide range of both types of schools where we are, but you don't always get the one you want. Bound to be a few tears, from parents as much as children.

Times like this you just wish everyone went to the same local comprehensive school.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

bellabelly wrote:Still feeling jittery and still counting down the days to 1 March - even though I know it's not at all helpful...

Sorrel, you are right - always worth putting down your true first choice, just in case! We are (just) ooc for Judd but I seem to remember that they created a bulge class this year? So you never know.

Does anyone know if primary schools get told in advance about secondary offers (like they do with 11+ results)? I want to keep the whole thing very low key with my boys (esp if we're going to have to appeal for one of them) but am wondering if school might mention something to them.
I think I read on here that the schools are told a week in advance, but with strict instructions to keep it buttoned. So hopefully they will be discreet - most schools seem to be with the 11+ results.
Octsmum

Post by Octsmum »

Were you meaning the new secondary school? Our local grammar schools have said that they get the allocations at virtually the same time as we do. (By the way, we're in Gloucestershire).
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now