LG appeal for 116 (not living locally)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
greatmum

LG appeal for 116 (not living locally)

Post by greatmum »

Hi all,
I have just received a date for my appeal hearing. The case for the school is that for Health and safety for class size exceeding 25. It also says the maximum allowed is 29 per class. Can I say that if we were living locally we would have an offer? Is it not that now its just a case of distance not academic evidence anymore?
I don't know how to approach it now. My husband works in Langley (about 2minutes from school), should I mention this at the hearing?
greatmum
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Sorry I do not really understand what you are appealing about, what sort of school, why etc etc. Please could you submit your question again as it is extremely unclear and otherwise you are unlikely to get useful help from the people on here who do know what they are talking about (not necessarily me!!).

Good luck
greatmum

Post by greatmum »

I am appealing for a place for my dd at Langley grammar. her score was 116. she is on their waiting list. LG has offered places to 116 living locally. We live in Hounslow. With our date of hearing I received a letter stating LG's case for not offering my dd a place i.e. for health and safety reasons they have to keep class size to 25 (29 max incase any appeals get successful). I'll present my case as academic but I was wondering that with her score she would have a place if we were living in langley or surrounded area. Also her dad works in Langley. Can I mention that to the panel?
greatmum
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

Well I know nothing of Langley Grammar so I looked on their admission policy on the web.

It states clearly that admission is done by 11+ score, and then distance from the school is used where there are several children in a "tie-break" (read the policy as they word it better than me).

So if there are children who were offered places on 1 March with 116, this must mean that 116 was the lowest score which gained places on 1 March, there were several children with 116, and you lived further away than the ones with 116 who have been offered places.
You have not been treated differently because you live in Hounslow, not Berkshire.

Have you found out how many others with 116 are on the waiting list like you, and what "number" you are on the list (although more people could join the list now could they according to the Berkshire booklet I presume you have)?

Do you feel your child should have scored more than 116 in which case you need a strong academic argument?

Why don't you try the Berkshire forum, and also have a good read of all Etienne's appeals advice?

Good luck
greatmum

Post by greatmum »

Thanks perplexed,
I am too scared to call LG just in case I find that my dd is something like 40th on the list!!!!!!! also the admissions weren't too helpful last time I called. I can understand their frustration but what are the parents supposed to do. I'll try and email them but I would get an answer for two weeks now. I am hoping that she'll get a place. the waiting list operates until end of sept 2008. There aren't any parents on this forum who are also waiting for LG.
greatmum
Twins mum

Post by Twins mum »

Hi greatmum

I too am on the waiting list for LGS, I know there are 30 on 116. Apparently three of them are on the doorstep of the school and will be offered first..

Out of those there will be children who have already accepted other offers from schools placed under their 1st preference.

I am afraid its a waiting game as the schools are now closed for two weeks. According to LGS they have to write a letter to all who qualified but have not responded. The second stage is they phone and ask whether they still need a place. Lastly, a second call is made to advise that the offer has been withdrawn.

I am planning on enjoying the next two weeks and postpone the worrying.
My boys are now off for two weeks and I think we all deserve a break.

There is still hope.

TM
greatmum

Post by greatmum »

Hi twin mum,
As far as I know they have made offers to people livivng locally. I don't know what distance is local according to LG. If there are 30 with116 then my DD can/t be 40th :D . I wish I could switch my mind off from this matter. Anyway there's no point worrying about it now as there will be no news for atleast two weeks.
I hope you have a relaxing break, i'll try to do the same.
greatmum
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now