Altrincham girls' school's gender neutral policy criticised

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Catseye

Altrincham girls' school's gender neutral policy criticised

Post by Catseye »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ma ... r-42618629" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Daily Wail said;
But one of the country's top-performing state schools has baffled parents by informing them its staff will in future use 'gender-neutral language' when talking to or about children.
Altrincham Grammar School for Girls in Manchester fears that using the 'g-word' could result in pupils who are changing sex being 'misgendered'.
Pupils are likely to be addressed as 'students' instead.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... girls.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally , I have no problem with new policy and know one of the best teachers there is transgender.
Who cares? But I wouldn't change the name.

Altrincham Grammar Gender Neutral School ?? Doesn't really have a ring to it :lol:
ToadMum

Re: Altrincham girls' school's gender neutral policy critici

Post by ToadMum »

Catseye wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ma ... r-42618629

The Daily Wail said;
But one of the country's top-performing state schools has baffled parents by informing them its staff will in future use 'gender-neutral language' when talking to or about children.
Altrincham Grammar School for Girls in Manchester fears that using the 'g-word' could result in pupils who are changing sex being 'misgendered'.
Pupils are likely to be addressed as 'students' instead.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... girls.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Personally , I have no problem with new policy and know one of the best teachers there is transgender.
Who cares? But I wouldn't change the name.

Altrincham Grammar Gender Neutral School ?? Doesn't really have a ring to it :lol:
But continuing with a name which implies that you have to be a girl to go there is surely as 'damaging' as having the assumption made that if you are there, you are a girl?

I don't know the area, but '<Name of road school is on> / '<Name of local park> Grammar School' perhaps?

Unless the road / park is itself named after someone currently unacceptable, of course :shock: .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

¿ qué.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Catseye wrote:¿ qué.
Merely pointing out that it a nonsense to say that the students at a school admitting only girls must henceforth not be referred to as girls, whilst retaining a name for the school which indicates that it is a school for girls. (Although we have four schools in the area with 'for Girls' / 'for Boys' in their title, all of which admit both female and male stu to the sixth form everyone copes, so perhaps it doesn't matter). My suggestion was that they could change the name to something reflecting its location - unless that location had been named in honour of someone now deemed, well, dishonourable.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
elevenexam

Post by elevenexam »

In our office there are over 1300 staff working, and we have mixture of Genders ( Male/Female/Transgenders etc) but we don't bother about anything and carry on our daily work , my personal view is to keep the name as it is and shouldn't highlight these issues , becasue of couple of miniority students name shouldn't be changed.
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

Worry not folks ,all is well at AGGS the sky hasn't fallen in , the girls/transgender students are all well but a for some parents........... :roll: :roll:

Manchester always ahead of the curve :D

A transgender school coming to your location soon!
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

I'd have thought that the language and words used to describe the school and its pupils would be the least of their worries.

Surely whatever gender neutral words they may use, it is still effectively an all 'girls' school which by its nature is not structured to cater for male pupils. What are the implications for a pupil who joins the school as a girl at age 11 and then decides to identify as a male a few years later? Would there be any issues with school uniform, toilets, PE/sports etc? :?
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

What about if a former boy who was identifying as a girl joined the school - in the 6th form, maybe? What would implications be then for changing rooms, PE, swimming, shared rooms on trips abroad? The genitalia of the trans girl would still be male. What would they do?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now