King Edward School, Louth - Admissions Possibly Changing?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Minniemooface

King Edward School, Louth - Admissions Possibly Changing?

Post by Minniemooface »

Info Ref 11 plus test results for 2017/2018

Number who passed the test 175

Children who attend feeder schools 95

Children who attend other primary schools 80

Also, when you look online to view the admissions policy for the year 2019, before you click on the link, it says currently out for consultation.

My children who attend the school have said there have been some discussions about this. What has been mentioned is that the children who are out of catchment who get top high scores often miss out on a place at the school, as the children who live in catchment get the places first. And some say ,why should the children who get the highest scores miss out on a place to children who pass with the basic pass score of 220. I don't know if they are looking at changing to highest scores first, or maybe extending / or changing the catchment areas. Who knows?

Just interesting that it states out for consultation.
ToadMum

Re: King Edward School, Louth - Admissions Possibly Changing

Post by ToadMum »

Minniemooface wrote:Info Ref 11 plus test results for 2017/2018

Number who passed the test 175

Children who attend feeder schools 95

Children who attend other primary schools 80

Also, when you look online to view the admissions policy for the year 2019, before you click on the link, it says currently out for consultation.

My children who attend the school have said there have been some discussions about this. What has been mentioned is that the children who are out of catchment who get top high scores often miss out on a place at the school, as the children who live in catchment get the places first. And some say ,why should the children who get the highest scores miss out on a place to children who pass with the basic pass score of 220. I don't know if they are looking at changing to highest scores first, or maybe extending / or changing the catchment areas. Who knows?

Just interesting that it states out for consultation.
Admittedly, I'm reading the documents on a phone screen so may have missed something, but the policy for 2019 entry on the school website looks to be the same as the policy for 2018 entry on the LEA website? Schools have to consult at least every seven years even if they are making no changes to their admissions policy.

A policy seeing a historic minimum of a third of places going to OOC applicants sounds quite reasonable. And qualifying siblings of current pupils who will still be on roll when said sibling is due to start take priority over IC applicants who do not have a sibling at the school

Since the policy is out for consultation, if you consider that it is unfair for the school to have a priority admissions area and / or feeder schools, you should follow the procedure for registering your objection to the policy as proposed.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Minniemooface

Post by Minniemooface »

I don't have any objection either for or against the admissions policy either way, (as if we are looking at it from my point of view ,my children are all now in secondary schools). I was just posting the info that it is out for consultation. This was purely for information for other parents for in the future, just in case it was/or would be changing. I didn't know that it had to go out for consultation every 7 years, regardless of changes or not. And the points I made were what my children said the teachers had discussed and told them , in relation to the eleven plus tests, not mine or my children own opinions.

Sorry for any confusion.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Not very professional of the teachers to tell them that they thought it unfair of the school to have a priority admissions area / feeder school policy, but now the school is in the consultation phase, they can make official objections.

One thing to remember, though, is that a change to admitting purely in score order would mean no preference for siblings, as that would contravene the Admissions Code. Currently, an OOC sibling with a bare pass would get a place over a priority area / feeder school applicant with the same score, should the latter category be oversubscribed. OOC parents with a 'bright but not as bright as eldest' child might regard that as throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Eta...

Just looked again at the policies and the major changes actually relate to entry other than at the beginning of year 7:

- year 10 no longer a discrete point of entry with an increase in PAN at that point (is the school also moving to a three-year GCSE model?)
- year 12 increased to PAN of 150
- no longer an 'expectation' of minimum achievement at the end of year 12 for progression into year 13.

The last, of course, being in the wake of the St Olaves case this past summer (and possibly the school has dropped AS levels)?. There is still a 'minimum grades for progression' clause in the sixth form admissions info for 2018 entry, the school would be ill advised to try to enforce it unless it could prove that the failure to achieve was entirely due to actions on the student's part which equated to disciplinary grounds for exclusion.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Rhinoguy

Post by Rhinoguy »

Don’t listen the rumours from the children as they know nothing. Nothing to worry about as it’s satutory requirement for schools to undertake consultation regarding to PAN at every 7 years. So the 30 extra placement is just ‘over offer’.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Rhinoguy wrote: So the 30 extra placement is just ‘over offer’.
??
Pluto11

Post by Pluto11 »

My son is currently hoping for a place in September. We are in the bottom group for admissions. He doesn’t attend a feeder school but we live closer than many of the feeder schools. Just hope he gets in.
Rhinoguy

Post by Rhinoguy »

Pluto11 wrote:My son is currently hoping for a place in September. We are in the bottom group for admissions. He doesn’t attend a feeder school but we live closer than many of the feeder schools. Just hope he gets in.
Me too, Hoping to send my son there this Sept, we are same boat as yours , and school will admit the top 35 high scorers of 11plus.... Can't wait till 1st March and move on! ... I'm sure son scored enough as we prepared him very well with private tutor for a year.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now