Diversity - Weald of Kent and TOGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Exams2018

Diversity - Weald of Kent and TOGS

Post by Exams2018 »

Hi all,

Please can anyone tell me about diversity in these two schools? Is there anyone here from Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi/Sri Lankan backgrounds whose children go to WOK / TOGS? We really liked the schools and were seriously considering moving to Tonbridge permanently.

I am now beginning to realise that it is VERY important for us to be in a school with more people who "look like" DD. DD and I were having a casual chat, lying on the bed one evening. She told me she felt very lonely in the infant school as no one played with her and they called her names because of her skin colour. We are from south asia (Sri Lankan). Although there were black children in her school,she was the only one that looked VERY different from everyone else. DD is a very quiet child, she is also very sensitive. It breaks my heart to hear all this from her. She never told me or DH - just kept it to herself. She eventually made friends but even now her group of "friends" very subtly keep her out sometimes. For example - she was the only one (in the group) not invited to a sleepover party.

Teenage comes with its own set of issues, I really don't want this skin colour thing / or "looking different" to hurt her even more and ruin her confidence. I really want a few children around who "look like" her.

From this perspective, will WOK and TOGS be a bad choice for us? I've been to open days in both schools but didn't particularly look at things from this perspective then.
Sparklecat

Re: Diversity - Weald of Kent and TOGS

Post by Sparklecat »

Looking at Ofsted reports and Google Images, I would suggest not. Although having seen out of county exam centres, this may change in time. I don't know where you live, but Gravesend grammar schools may have more of the demographics you mention.
Exams2018

Post by Exams2018 »

Sparklecat wrote:Looking at Ofsted reports and Google Images, I would suggest not. Although having seen out of county exam centres, this may change in time. I don't know where you live, but Gravesend grammar schools may have more of the demographics you mention.
That’s such a good idea! I will start looking up ofsted reports and google images for other schools too
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

If you have the luxury of moving anywhere in the county, another factor will be whether the school needs a straight pass of 320 or a higher score. Although our daughter achieved a higher score, I don't know if our nerves could have coped with the tension. I'm glad she's in a grammar, but comfortable with not being in a super-selective that maybe pushes pupils even harder.
Sorrel

Post by Sorrel »

Any grammar close to London will be very diverse - I know Newstead Wood (Bromley) is, and expect Dartford Girls Grammar will be too ( the boys' one is). Sorry to hear about your daughter's experiences.
Exams2018

Post by Exams2018 »

Sparklecat wrote:If you have the luxury of moving anywhere in the county, another factor will be whether the school needs a straight pass of 320 or a higher score. Although our daughter achieved a higher score, I don't know if our nerves could have coped with the tension. I'm glad she's in a grammar, but comfortable with not being in a super-selective that maybe pushes pupils even harder.
Thanks Sparklecat. Luckily we can move, but living within commutable distance to London is a must.
sobz70

Post by sobz70 »

Hi, definitely Dartford grammar school for girls, is very diverse as is Townley and Newstead Wood. We went to all the open days for those schools. My DD attends Newstead wood and there are many Sri Lankan’s there- especially in DD’s class. The ofsted reports also give you a good idea of the demographics. I haven’t been to the open day of TOGS or Weald but I know that there are a few Asians at TOGS as I have some friends who sent their DD there.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I cannot point you to any hard data but when I looked round schools in West Kent TGS was the first one which felt wasn't almost 100% white. That is still my experience.
Dantsw13

Post by Dantsw13 »

My DD is in yr 8 at TGS and has loads of Asian friends. I would have thought your daughter would love it - it’s a very friendly and inclusive school.
FortyNinePence

Post by FortyNinePence »

From my experience, super selective grammars are way more diverse in general than “normal” grammars. So TGS much more diverse than Weald.

From what I’ve observed, Dartford and Wilmington are also way more diverse than Weald.