Eltham College Exam Results & Sports Scholarship 2018

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
turnip08

Eltham College Exam Results & Sports Scholarship 2018

Post by turnip08 »

Waiting nervously the outcome of last week's 11+ exams/interview. Does anyone know roughly what the time lines are (especially as I believe the sports scholarship assessment is next week)? My DS found the online adaptive quite challenging in terms of time and failed to complete most sections (even though he completed all questions in Bexley/Kent and passed both).

Does anyone know how many kids sat the exam and for how many places?

Do all children who applied for it and who are deemed to have passed 'satisfactorily' be called for the sports scholarship assessment day?

On the off-chance he is called for the sports assessment day, do they focus mainly on the chosen sport/s or is there more of an emphasis on general ability/fitness assessment? Any insights?

Sorry for all the questions! :)
turnip08

Re: Eltham College Exam Results & Sports Scholarship 2018

Post by turnip08 »

Sports scholarship invitations have now been sent out for the assessment next Wednesday.
cornucopia

Post by cornucopia »

When my son did the sports scholarship assessment day, 2 years ago, he had to do:

- Long run, twice round the school grounds
- Short distance sprints
- Hold plank 5 mins
- Cricket (indoors)
- Hockey (outdoors)

It was really hard work. He thinks about 50 people came to the sports assessment day, maybe 10 of them came to the school, and perhaps 5 people a year get sports scholarships. They have some really talented sportsmen throughout the school.

If you apply for a sports scholarship in Yr 9, you have do a bleep test as well and competition is very intense.
cornucopia

Post by cornucopia »

Turnip, do let Eltham know that your son passed the Bexley and Kent tests, if he doesn't get an offer. I know that they have been refining their entrance tests recently. We found that the head was prepared to give children a variety of tests to ensure they had an opportunity to demonstrate their potential. I think the school is interested in looking beyond how well they've been coached. We've been very pleased with the school.
turnip08

Post by turnip08 »

Thank you for all your invaluable advice. :)
turnip08

Post by turnip08 »

OK, so things seem a bit different from previous years and it seems EC short-listed candidates prior to today's (only) assessment (unless they had several of these days running). Today, about 20-25 kids took part, roughly 4 hours which included:
  • beep test
    press up
    plank
    rugby (touch and contact)
    cricket (hard ball, indoors)
    hockey
Those who chose to, could be assessed for swimming; guessing there might have been 8-10 who did this out of the 20-25 kids.

Results fed back from individual coaches to Head Coach who then passes the summary over to the Head Master who then takes a holistic view.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now