That QE question at the Habs interview

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Daogroupie

That QE question at the Habs interview

Post by Daogroupie »

They have toned it down a bit this year.

Now the question is: "Did you get more than 230 in the QE boys exam?"

Habs seem to have decided that the pass mark is going to to be 231 this year!

This is so much better than forcing applicants to reveal low scores in front of others. DG
kenyancowgirl

Re: That QE question at the Habs interview

Post by kenyancowgirl »

But still completely wrong of them to ask. Awful awful to ask children that ....what would they say if any brave soul said "none of your business" because, frankly, that is what they should all say!
Needglasses

Post by Needglasses »

My son’s group was straight up asked the score. Also told it makes no difference regarding Habs entrance. Who knows.
piggys

Post by piggys »

I completely disagree with the whole concept of interviewing children. It is ridiculous as well as a passport to binning someone off if one of the teachers doesn't like their personality or whatever. I would never subject any child of mine to it.

As for asking someone their score in front of others (or indeed separately)....really? :shock:
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Needglasses wrote:My son’s group was straight up asked the score. Also told it makes no difference regarding Habs entrance. Who knows.
If it makes no difference that is even MORE reason not to ask the stupid question in the first place!!
beoptima

Post by beoptima »

Seriously , was this score asked and are kids expected to say the actual score ? What would they do knowing the score. Is the Habs offer based on this ?
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

piggys wrote:I completely disagree with the whole concept of interviewing children. It is ridiculous as well as a passport to binning someone off if one of the teachers doesn't like their personality or whatever. I would never subject any child of mine to it.
Surely the whole point of interviewing the child is to ensure that the school doesn't take him if, for whatever reason, it doesn't want to. That has advantages both for the school and for the child.
Loopy
Lcwic2

Post by Lcwic2 »

Seriously , was this score asked and are kids expected to say the actual score ? What would they do knowing the score. Is the Habs offer based on this ?
I dont think Habs offers are based on QE scores. I know many children who did not come close to the QE cut off mark (last year) but got just above the QE pass mark and got offers from habs.

Maybe they check this to see how many offers they should over offer, assuming the high or over 230 score for QE would take QE as it's free! Just assuming, also could be if a child has done really well in Habs exam and having. High QE score will be offered scholarship? Anyway a very inappropriate question to ask!!
piggys

Post by piggys »

Loopyloulou wrote:
Surely the whole point of interviewing the child is to ensure that the school doesn't take him if, for whatever reason, it doesn't want to. That has advantages both for the school and for the child.
What advantage do you see here for the child?
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

I suppose, potentially, the child avoids having to spend five years in a setting where he's not wanted or where (to put it more positively) the staff can tell from the interview that he would be unlikely to thrive there for some particular reason.

Of course, no one likes to be told they're not wanted and there's no guarantee that the child would be able to find and attend a different school to which they were better suited.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now