negativity

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
martink58

negativity

Post by martink58 »

Our son is in year 5 and he’s been tutored since September last year with the object to get him into a local Grammar School. My wife met his current form teacher last night and when she told him about our hopes for our son he said “Children that pass the 11+ are ready to take and pass the test at the beginning of year 5” and basically that our son didn’t have a chance.
Do you think that is true? He has been working away at his studies, not as hard as we would like, but that’s probably always the case. We were planning to step up the tutoring and homework this term. His tutor says he can pass if he applies himself.
Can I please get some honest opinions?

Thanks, Martin
scary mum

Re: negativity

Post by scary mum »

That sounds like nonsense to me! Most people only start any tutoring in year 5. Which area is this?
scary mum
piggys

Post by piggys »

The teacher is wrong; there is a huge difference in the ability and achievement of a child at the beginning of Y5 and again at the end of Y5 / beginning if Y6 which is when the 11 plus exams tend to be arranged. This is especially true of English - inference, vocabulary, insight and composition skills develop an awful lot between September and June. In exactly the same way there is a huge difference in my GCSE students if I look at where they are at the end of Y10/ early Y11 and then again in May, when their exams begin.

Which area are you in and which schools are you interested in? I hope you are encouraging your ds to read read and read. :)
Amber

Post by Amber »

martink58 wrote:We were planning to step up the tutoring and homework this term. His tutor says he can pass if he applies himself.
Yes well, the tutor would say that as it means s/he makes more money!
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Hi OP, please can you give us an idea of which school or area you are looking at?

In my area, the primary school teachers wouldn't have the first idea which children would or wouldn't be able to get a grammar school place as most children near us don't apply to them - they are not our local schools and are hard to get into, so the teachers don't have much of a baseline about what level a child needs to be at to pass. It would be different in an area with lots of grammars.

Also, do you know how much knowledge your Y5 teacher has of leaver's destinations at the end of Y6? She might not really have much exposure to the results of the 11+ tests that children have sat, particularly if she's never taught Y6s.

Either way, don't give up unless you want to. You know your child best and if he's happy to continue then you've nothing to lose.
martink58

Post by martink58 »

Thank you for your replies. We are in outer South East London. Bromley/Bexley borders. So we are looking at the grammar schools in that area. Our son is bright and cheerful and he speaks really well. He is keen to learn but like most 10 year olds, he needs encouragement.

I believe our son's primary gets 2 to 5 children each year into the local grammar schools.

Bexley run mock exams from February through to the summer so we have booked one in April and we are going to increase his hours with the tutor.

I agree, we know our son best and I believe he is capable of passing the 11+.
Mich895

Post by Mich895 »

My daughter was at a Bexley primary with a similar record for the 11+. They were not keen on the 11+ and would never give a positive comment about any child's chances. I started working with my daughter from the start of year 5 as I knew she was capable, and she did fine and went to the grammar school of her choice. You know your child best and what he is capable of.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Our experience.

DDs year 4 teacher told us that we could think about GS, we hadn’t at that point (we didn’t think she was quite there) and at that time the local schools were looking at changing catchment so it gave us a possible other option we didn’t think we had.

Year 5 teacher didn’t think she was up to it, but thought her friend was, though previously in year 4 the friend’s teacher didn’t think the friend was up to it.

Both now at the same GS.

Year 6 teacher we didn’t see until after we had the results and knew anyway.
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

Martin. Honest opinion - I think you should ignore your child's teacher (sorry teachers). If your child is ok with the tutoring then continue. Don't over stress him with too much this year though. Plan some fun as well. For the Bexley tests I did all the bought practice papers with my children myself. Exam technique needs to be learnt, the structure of each areas papers can be very different. I was shocked at how many other parents just sent their DCs along with no preparation. Involve yourself in your son's work. If you are in Bromley/Bexley area you will know that you have many opportunities for grammar schools in Bexley, Kent area and St Olave's. Just don't aim only for St Os as they have an exceptionally hard two part exam. Dartford boys run a coach from Bromley I believe. Some areas, such as Bexley, have a 12+ exam for entry from year 8, if you fail their 11+. You would be added to the waiting list and I was told by the school that a few places can come up each year.
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

If you post under Bexley and Bromley in the "11 Plus Regions" area of the Forum you may get some more local support. Good luck.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now