Advice : administration error on parents part?

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

cazbruce

Advice : administration error on parents part?

Post by cazbruce »

Hi - So I have been informed that my DD won't be offered a place in the first round as we did not send in proof of address (for RHS), she scored quite well 229, and at the time of receiving the score letter I was laid up with severe back pain and was taking Diazepam and Naproxin (both of which affect mental ability), therefore I did not fully digest the letter; where the last paragraph said I should chase the council if I did not receive a "request letter" in early December. Having not digested this paragraph, and unfortunately it is also mentioned on the RHS site (albeit on page 11 - after A-Level entry requirements hence I didn't actually read it), we then did not receive the letter and I therefore did not chase it (I am still with back pain and waiting referral to spinal team) - hence not forwarding relevant proof of address. Anyway, so I suppose the appeal would have to be on ground of MY administration error (possibly coupled with not receiving a request letter?), as the lea are covering themselves and saying it is ultimately my responsibility. Do you think this is strong grounds for appeal - Im thinking this is a good strong score and how can she suffer because I was incapacitated?
sportsforall

Re: Advise : administration error on parents part?

Post by sportsforall »

It is an excellent score. Are you in the inner / outer circle? My letter also did not arrive but fortunately I was aware of the process from a previous application.

How did you find out you missed the deadline?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

It IS ultimately the parent's responsibility....

And the request for proof of address is to ensure there is no fradulent applications (I am not casting any aspersions here, just stating fact) - the council would just have assumed you could not provide proof - and you can understand this. I suspect you have nothing to lose by appealing, if your DD does not get a place in the second round, but focus on it being your fault, due to ill health which you will assumedly be able to evidence via the doctor/hospital, and that your DD should not be penalised for this. Of course this is assuming that you can provide evidence of address for the deadline they gave!
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Welcome to the forum, and I'm very sorry to hear about what has happened.

Not sure where "RHS" is, as this part of the forum isn't regional - we try to help with questions from all over the country.

However, I would have thought that your LA would have criteria (not necessarily published) for this sort of situation. The criteria are likely to be very strict. For example, I'm guessing that an exception might be made in the case of a single parent who was hospitalised at the crucial time, and it is clear that there was no relative or friend available who could help with such matters as school applications.
Do you think this is strong grounds for appeal?
If the LA or admission authority have followed correct procedure, then these would be very weak grounds for an appeal.

By all means offer an explanation. As kenyancowgirl has said, "focus on it being your fault, due to ill health which you will assumedly be able to evidence via the doctor/hospital". Throw yourself on the panel's mercy, and hope that they will be sympathetic.

This is unlikely to be enough, though. I would add that you need to come up with some convincing reasons for why you want or need a place at the school. This should be the basis of your appeal.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Etienne
sportsforall

Re: Advice : administration error on parents part?

Post by sportsforall »

RHS is Rugby High School, I believe, Warwickshire.
cazbruce

Post by cazbruce »

Yes I have doctors notes, and yes it Rugby High, we received a letter saying she would not be entered into the first round due to lack of proof of address.. thanks for the advice, pretty much what we were planning anyway so its fingers crossed all the way for us... so gutted... hopeful that if we focus on her, with a strong score and support from all areas of life - talented musician, sports as well as academic we might be ok... so scared we have messed this up for her...
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Appeals are difficult and Etienne has explained that if the LEA have followed correct procedure, you do not have very strong grounds. Obviously you want to be hopeful as you prepare your appeal but it also might be worth preparing yourselves (you and your DD) for the school you listed second on your CAF, just in case.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

support from all areas of life - talented musician, sports as well as academic
My understanding is that you need to focus on why this is the right school for your DD. She has proved herself academically but I don't think a show of music certificates or sporting achievements will be relevant, unless to show she has a particular interest in something this school offers.
scary mum
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

If the OP misses a place on offer day, would she be able to join the waiting list immediately afterwards? If she is, presumably she would be quite high on the list given her score.
Hera

Post by Hera »

streathammum wrote:If the OP misses a place on offer day, would she be able to join the waiting list immediately afterwards? If she is, presumably she would be quite high on the list given her score.
Those were my thoughts. Also OP have you contacted the school directly to explain the situation as they may be able to give you some guidance.