School league tables - RGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MrsChubbs

School league tables - RGS

Post by MrsChubbs »

Can someone knowledgeable explain why RGS latest data has 0% in the Ebacc area which I presume is the reason their progress 8 score is so poor? Type of exam taken?
Thanks
Mrs Chubbs
Guest55

Re: School league tables - RGS

Post by Guest55 »

They took a different English GCSE [an iGCSE?] which meant students got 0 for English - you can drill down to that.
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

I've just looked at the league table and I'm confused. RGS shows as performing well below average in all stages. They have scored 0% of students doing GCSE's at Grade 5 and above, achieving EBacc and entering EBacc. Their scores in GCSE is also 0. Surely the league table should take into account the different GCSEs that they are doing?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/s ... ables.xlsx

The AQA and Cambridge International Level 1/Level 2 Certificate subjects which are included in the list of qualifications counted in the performance tables for 2017 are here. Maths and English are among those not on the list - explanation here:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/qual ... nce-tables
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Here is what it says on the school website:

http://www.rgshw.com/2925/academic/a-le ... sults-2017" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"Please note that RGS students have sat IGCSE ( I meaning International) qualifications in English Language and English Literature. These are qualifications used predominantly by the independent sector as they have been regarded as more rigorous than the standard GCSE in universal use in the state sector.

As the qualification is no longer included in Progress 8 calculations, this has had a significantly negative effect on our Progress 8 score (calculated as -0.93 by the DfE) and our league table position for Progress 8. Please be reassured that IGCSE is recognised by all universities and, clearly, a school achieving the results and Oxbridge success detailed on this page is a high-performing school."
BlueBerry

Post by BlueBerry »

Thanks for the link Guest55.

Does anyone know why RGS would do this? Why they moved away from the standard GCSEs in favour of the iGCSEs? I don’t remember this being mentioned during my schools visits.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Is this a permanent change or was it just caution because of the new GCSE?
Hornsey

Post by Hornsey »

I have some inside info. The school are apparently sending out to parents a 'league table' showing where RGS would sit if IGCSEs had been counted. Unreliability of GCSE English marking is one reason cited for the IGCSE switch a few years ago.

IGCSEs are recognised by universities -which they have to be as the IGCSE is very common in independent schools.
Last edited by Hornsey on Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think most parents will wonder why RGS made this decision when none of the other 12 GS did. How many of them are complaining about their English results?

It seems strange and somewhat risky - shouldn't the English department have more faith in the exam system and remarks? I wonder if the Governors were happy with this decision and, if they were, whether they are now?
Hornsey

Post by Hornsey »

A number of GSs have certainly had concerns about GCSE English marking and a number switched to IGCSE as a result. Yes, of course, the others switched back in time for the progress 8 measures, whereas RGS did not.