Pen type for GCSE

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Hera

Pen type for GCSE

Post by Hera »

DS normally writes with a black gel pen which is what he used in his mocks. We have had a list of exams rules sent by the school, one of which is gel pens are not allowed. What pen did your child use? DS cannot write nearly as quickly or neatly with a biro/rollerball pen.
ToadMum

Re: Pen type for GCSE

Post by ToadMum »

Hera wrote:DS normally writes with a black gel pen which is what he used in his mocks. We have had a list of exams rules sent by the school, one of which is gel pens are not allowed. What pen did your child use? DS cannot write nearly as quickly or neatly with a biro/rollerball pen.
Ballpoint (i think the regulations specify black).

Probably sensible for your DS to switch pens now, if he finds ballpoint pens less comfortable to write with, rather than have unnecessary distractions during the actual exams?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Hera

Post by Hera »

Thanks Toadmum. Does no-one use fountain or other types of pens?
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

One of mine used fountain pen (still using it one at Uni), the other used ballpoint pen
Amber

Post by Amber »

I am almost certain, no, I am certain, that mine who did their (GCSE and A2) exams last year used rollerball type things. Grey ones, pack of 3, black. Are you sure that is the exam board setting this particular rule?
Hera

Post by Hera »

Amber wrote:I am almost certain, no, I am certain, that mine who did their (GCSE and A2) exams last year used rollerball type things. Grey ones, pack of 3, black. Are you sure that is the exam board setting this particular rule?
Yes apparently it says no gel pens on the AQA papers. I am probably getting a bee in my bonnet about it and worrying unnecessarily, but DS has some handwriting issues as it is so I don't want to make things harder for him if I don't need to. Also somewhat confused about the difference between roller ball and gel with ball point just being a Biro.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Yes, one of mine also has what could be called handwriting issues too! The ones I am fairly sure he used were uniball (not sure if I am allowed to post that here?) - I know because I was tasked with acquiring some and it was hard as the usual outlets had sold out - presumably to a similar demographic! I think they are technically 'liquid rollerball' rather than gel...who knows what the difference is? Either way he doesn't appear to have been penalised for the pens.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Are gel pens sometimes not water resistant? I think that if water got spilled on them then they can fade or wash out (dd writes with mixture of gel pens and the same brand of pen as Amber mentioned :wink: - her books are very multicoloured!)
The gel pens definitely have suffered more than the liquid rollerball ones when they have had water on them.
I guess that maybe they don't want to risk the marker having a tea-related accident with them?!
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Looking on the Uniball website (reckon it is OK Amber, this is research not advertising!) there are rollerballs with ink and rollerballs with gel. Suspect the ink ones are fine, aren't the gel ones rather thicker?

I find the ink rollerballs good to write with - I have awful writing and try to use a fountain pen as it does improve but hate ink leaks in my handbag so try the rollerballs instead.
Amber

Post by Amber »

loobylou wrote:I guess that maybe they don't want to risk the marker having a tea-related accident with them?!
The scripts are all scanned and accessed online as I understand it. As you have time, Hera, you could maybe send an enquiry to AQA? They must have somebody to deal with queries I imagine.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now