2018 Places Offers day

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Buckbeak

2018 Places Offers day

Post by Buckbeak »

Howdy folks,

Just realised we have 28 days left before offers day. Wow. Not long to go.

The nerves have begun tingling. Sometimes it is better to not check the date! :shock:

We are waiting for hopeful news from WGHS.
helen0209

Re: 2018 Places Offers day

Post by helen0209 »

All the best to everyone waiting, but try not to think too much about it (easier said than done)! Hoping there are no major curveballs, and for some 1st March is only the beginning of a long journey through the summer of waiting list movement.
Having been on that W/L journey with DS1, I would urge people to confirm / decline offers as soon as possible to enable the list to move quicker :D
Life has been very strange since September with no 11+ preparation, but most enjoyable!!
femalemidlander

Post by femalemidlander »

There with you buckbeak awaiting WGHS
Goodbyekitty

Post by Goodbyekitty »

Good luck everyone!
Helen fingers crossed for your DS. I agree its been great not having to think about the 11+ exams these few month.
Still hopeful with DS's score for QM but I suppose it still need to be in writing for confirmation.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

Good luck everyone.I remember your ride last time Buckbeak.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
kentish_man

Post by kentish_man »

Good luck to everyone waiting nervously on results. I hadn't realised decision day was so close, but perhaps been in denial!
What are people's thoughts on cut-off scores this year?
I know impossible to really predict, but interesting to know if anybody has any informed opinion on this.
I'm realistic enough to know they are very unlikely to go down.

KEFW is first choice for my son.
His score is a bit iffy for March 1st, but we can probably still cope with a 1 or 2 point increase on last year's cut-off, if willing to wait a couple of weeks in March. But an increase of 3 on last year, and it's probably getting very dicey.
The concern is that KEFW seems to have had a particularly relentless rise over the last 5 or 6 years (10 points since 2011) compared to the others.
(The percentage difference between KEFW & CHB cut-off scores has shrunk from 5% in 2005 -> to 3.9% in 2011 -> to only 2.5% last year)
Whilst it may be that all scores continue to creep up a bit (Due to increase in numbers taking the test) - presumably you would expect that particularly sharp FEFW trend to plateau off a bit at some point - otherwise the scores will be level with CHB in a couple of years?
um

Post by um »

There was a significant increase in numbers this year, which would have already pushed scores up, but to add to this, I understand that KES is having one fewer class than they did last year.

For the first time ever, I am aware of three boys who genuinely wanted KES, but did not get a place, and will now be attending CHB and FW instead as they have safe scores.

I fear this may have the effect of pushing all the GS scores up across the board for the boys' schools and FW.

However, as they say, when you worry, you suffer twice..so I'm trying not to worry :D :D :D
kentish_man

Post by kentish_man »

um wrote:There was a significant increase in numbers this year, which would have already pushed scores up, but to add to this, I understand that KES is having one fewer class than they did last year.
Interesting what you say about KES having one fewer class this year.
Where did you hear this?
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

Goodbyekitty wrote:Good luck everyone!
Helen fingers crossed for your DS. I agree its been great not having to think about the 11+ exams these few month.
Still hopeful with DS's score for QM but I suppose it still need to be in writing for confirmation.
Good luck to your DS too. I think you should be pretty confident with his score, but agree, until you see it in writing you can’t relax!!
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

Kentish_man - all the best for your DS. Based on the number of sitters alone, I think the scores will rise, but not significantly (perhaps 1 or 2 points). Last year, when BV introduced PP we all thought their cut off would rise, but it didn’t which was surprising.
There has to come a time when the scores reach a saturation point, or as you say, all schools would start to have the same level required for entry. They seem to have stabilised slightly, so let’s hope it remains so for this year!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now