GOOD LUCK FOR NLCS TODAY!

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
has2bme

GOOD LUCK FOR NLCS TODAY!

Post by has2bme »

Best of luck to all girls sitting NLCS today. My daughter had a wonderful day last year, it’s difficult to conceive a year has flown by so quickly.

Parents I know it may sound easy to say, but please try not to worry, everything works out well in the end.
Itsnotoveryet

Re: GOOD LUCK FOR NLCS TODAY!

Post by Itsnotoveryet »

Anybody else sat the test and had their interviews? Would be really great to hear how the whole experience was for you. Also feedback on the interview day and how the school managed the whole process. Not asking for interview content etc but just how the School welcomed your family and were you put at ease and any questions you had answered.
mb74

Post by mb74 »

The whole experience start to finish was a very good one. Even if we’re not offered a place, it was positive 11+ experience!

The staff, parents and Year 7 girls could not have made us feel more welcome. In fact, the Year 7 girls were utterly charming (not to mention hilariously funny).

The teacher whilst probing and challenging with her questions appeared to have spent a lot of time finding out what makes my daughter tick. I think there’s much to be said for inviting back fewer girls but having a 30 minute meeting.

I do very hope an offer will be made but feel, whatever the outcome, the assessment was fair. My daughter really enjoyed her interview, which is always a good thing.
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

So glad it was a good experience. A lot of thought goes into how to reduce the stress on DDs and parents. The aim really is to ensure that they do their best and that parents feel supported too. It's a bit of a preview of what school life is like there.
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

I sat the test and was interviewed. But as it was when Miss McLachlan was headmistress my very hazy memories are unlikely to help anyone!

All the best for those girls hoping to go to a most excellent school. I had a very happy time there.
Itsnotoveryet

Post by Itsnotoveryet »

Thank mb74. So glad to hear you had a positive experience. They don’t over interview and it’s great that they spend a reasonable time getting to know your daughter. I’m on the other side this year and we still feel very much supported by the School.
Good luck to your daughter.

The Year 7 Girls-they were being “ themselves” laughing and chatting, trying to make it as comfortable as possible for the DDs.

Agree with shootmenow. Def a preview of school life at NLCS. Turtlegirl has happy memories!
mb74

Post by mb74 »

We're waiting nervously here for results now.

The interview day really has been an eye opener for us and something we hadn't really prepared for. We had the City interview first (see the thread a few posts downwards) which was not a great experience at all.

In terms of your welcome and efforts to put everyone at ease, the contast between NCLS and City would not have been greater. I really appreciated having the parent helpers to speak with and to be able to ask more questions about the school. A comfortable room to sit in on a freezing winters day was also much appreciated!

At City, parents and girls waited in the foyer until the interview when we were shown to a room with refreshments. Small issue in that

1.) The interviews were running 30 mins late
2.) The foyer barely had any seating so we were all having to stand, on our feet, for about 45 minutes until called through
3.) There was only one girl from the 6th form there to speak to all the families (as opposed to around 6-8 Year 7 girls at NLCS)
3.) Staff meeting us were very "business-like" and not particularly friendly to the girls

I think it's unlikely my daughter will be offered a place at City, but the whole admissions process for the school has been very offputting.

NLCS on the other hand, has more than impressed me, particularly the pupils and their sheer enthusiasm for everything about the school!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Very interesting feedback on City.

Things have really changed since the day of Diane Vernon.

When my dd was being interviewed we were shown to a lovely comfortable room where there was plenty of chairs and lots of senior teachers including the Head Diane Vernon and plenty of others such as Head of KS3. Other dropped in and out during the time. I was there quite a long time as dd also had a music audition. She came and sat with me between the two and we had lots of tea, juice and cake and lots of staff to talk to.

Even after she came out there was no rush to leave. It all sounds dramatically different now.

I hope this is resolved as it would be a shame for this experience to put parents and dds off what is a great school. DG
Amber

Post by Amber »

Daogroupie wrote:I hope this is resolved as it would be a shame for this experience to put parents and dds off what is a great school. DG
I suppose what constitutes a 'great school' is really subjective, isn't it? And I imagine it really would put parents off - or at least those whose idea of a 'great school' has something to do with the atmosphere and all-round welcome one gets there. Perhaps those who want their children to be 'impressive' at every level will still think it is 'a great school'. From what I gather they aren't about to go out of business anyway.
mb74

Post by mb74 »

Perhaps you could feedback to City Dagroupie (you appear to be very actively engaged with the 11+ process)?

In the grand scheme of things, how the parents are treated does not matter so much, but the interview itself (or hopefully just the attitude of one of the teachers) should be reviewed. I only mention how well we were looked after at NCLS because of the post asking for feedback. It was however most appreciated during what is quite a stressful time for families.

City was hands down our first choice of school for our daughter but has now dropped down to the bottom following the interview. (Probably academic as I suspect she will not be getting a offer anyway).