How are you getting on?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

HamptonDad

How are you getting on?

Post by HamptonDad »

I suppose I am looking for assurance and some guidance.

I live in Peterborough started tutoring my DS for GS sometime last year. We have sights set on AGS in Bucks and Bourne Grammar in Lincs for 2019 entry. We’re happy to move closer to either so that isn’t too much of a problem so you can imagine our delight when it was announced the Bucks exams will now be GL as it’s the same in Lincs.

Sometime last year we started home tutoring my DS. Nothing heavy but firming up his core maths, comprehension and grammar. We started with NVR as we suspected he will struggle with that but he took to it so quickly we decided to concentrate on his weaknesses instead. I know its still early days and there’s still time but I suspect we should be working to a timetable now. Currently we study an hour every Saturday and during the week we flex it. It will be interesting to see how everyone is scheduling theirs. We try to get him to do at least a 10 mins test on Bondonline a day as he loves that (because its on a computer and he sneaks in a cheeky round of games)

My DS is a typical 10 year old. He would rather play on the playstation but we heavily restrict that during the week. 11plpus or not. He is fine with Maths and NVR but struggles with English across the board. On a good day he reads beautifully but hardly takes in what he’s reading. On a bad day he will look at the pages on the book and skips and substituted every other word.

Has anyone started tutoring/DIYing? How is it going?
Guest55

Re: How are you getting on?

Post by Guest55 »

Welcome -

I must say I'm a bit confused. Why AGS? You need to be aware you won't get a place living where you do and would need to move much nearer by CAF submission date.

Why are you considering uprooting the family for a school?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I'm no expert but I'm not sure the exams will be similar even if they are GL (someone will correct me if I'm wrong). The allocation distances for previous years are at the top of this section. Why AGS in particular?
scary mum
HamptonDad

Post by HamptonDad »

AGS because I have 2 nephews currently in the school and their parents speak very highly of the school.

Long story short, we were due to move late last year because of my work but specifically decided to stay put so as to not change schools for him. I commute a few days a week to London and with family in Bucks, AGS seems perfect. Bourne we are considering because a few people from his current school end up there so if he feels that strongly we can consider staying.

Again I appreciate its very early and we may very well change our minds after we have visited some other school.
HamptonDad

Post by HamptonDad »

scary mum wrote:I'm no expert but I'm not sure the exams will be similar even if they are GL (someone will correct me if I'm wrong). The allocation distances for previous years are at the top of this section. Why AGS in particular?

thank you for flagging that it may not be similar. I am hoping to learn more hence my post
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I would make sure you visit - AGS is not everyone's cup of tea. It has become less popular in recent years if you compare with alternatives.
HamptonDad

Post by HamptonDad »

Guest55 wrote:I would make sure you visit - AGS is not everyone's cup of tea. It has become less popular in recent years if you compare with alternatives.

Alternatives like?
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

They take your address at 31 October the preceding year as the one for admissions, I don't know how far away Peterborough is? The DIY guide for home tutoring is here https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=53382" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Guest55 wrote:I would make sure you visit - AGS is not everyone's cup of tea. It has become less popular in recent years if you compare with alternatives.
Unpopular enough to get to 'OOC to sixty-plus miles'?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

HamptonDad wrote:Alternatives like?
Depends where you are thinking of living - there are several other Grammars to choose from [excluding the girls only]:
Aylesbury - Sir Henry Floyd GS [mixed], Buckingham - Royal Latin [mixed], Chesham - Chesham Grammar [mixed] and further south there is in Amersham - Dr Challoners [boys], Burnham - Burnham Grammar [mixed], High Wycombe - John Hampden Grammar and Royal Grammar [boys], Marlow - Sir William Borlase's [mixed]
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now