A Level Choices

Discussion and advice on Sixth Form matters

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

KS10

A Level Choices

Post by KS10 »

DD is probably going to get the grades required to stay on in the Sixth Form at her school, but is thinking of choosing 2 subjects she has never done before (Photography and Psychology) . She is working her socks off for results that won't all be 7s, 8s and 9s and I do wonder sometimes if she is A level material, but it's what she wants to do. She doesn't want to continue with her strongest subjects (French, Music and English), which I find baffling, but then I enjoyed my strongest subjects at school. She isn't sure about going to university either and we have no problem with that. I have suggested that it might be a good idea to wait until her results are out before deciding for sure. Has anyone else had a DC do 2 or 3 completely new subjects at A Level?
scary mum

Re: A Level Choices

Post by scary mum »

I know someone who did both of those - she did just fine. I think her other subject was either biology or geography. This was under the previous A level syllabus of course.
scary mum
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Interesting, scary. DD wants to do biology too, but I always thought she hated science. She has been told that the content for biology is huge and that has put her off a bit, but she has also been told that it goes well with psychology.
KB

Post by KB »

Before choosing quite restricting subjects it would be sensible to think about post A level plans. These may well not be fixed but you don't want to make choices that close too many doors. University isn't for everyone but in a way if it's not the natural progression then more thought is needed at this stage. It is possible that it will then become clear that A levels might not be the most useful next step.

Do also go to the exam board specification and check the content of the course and what is expected in terms of exams. Don't just go on what others say or what you think it will be like.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

KS10 wrote:Interesting, scary. DD wants to do biology too, but I always thought she hated science. She has been told that the content for biology is huge and that has put her off a bit, but she has also been told that it goes well with psychology.
It does, but biology is very hard, especially the new syllabus. Difficult without chemistry as well, I believe. I'll pm you in the morning.
scary mum
Hera

Post by Hera »

Scary can you post on here why Biology would be difficult without Chemistry, I though they were both very different? It is only a reserve for DS but if it comes to it he probably won't have Chemistry as that is his second reserve.

KS10 it seems quite common for kids to change choices after results or even a few weeks into A-level courses if they are not working out.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

That wasn't what I was going to pm about! The biology syllabus has a high chemistry content. If most of the other students are taking chemistry a fairly high level of understanding might be assumed.
scary mum
Catseye

Post by Catseye »

My DD has chosen Biology , Geography and RS at A level but not maths even though see is very good at it.

She has no idea what she whats to do at uni but I have told her by not doing maths is a major disadvantage and closing her potential choices for top flight universities.

What options are open for her at degree level ?
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

Catseye you could try the which? university course explorer (just type into google) - you put in your A level choices and it tells you which subjects other students studying those A levels went on to take at university. It’s quite interesting to see how the options change by swopping just one A level choice.
doodles

Post by doodles »

DS is still agonising over his choices, at the moment we are at maths, physics, French and biology. He is more than capable of doing chemistry but refuses to contemplate it and after the comments above I might email the biology teacher about doing it without chemistry.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now