Eltham College - offer but no scholarship

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
blondegirl

Eltham College - offer but no scholarship

Post by blondegirl »

My son was desperate to go to Eltham but didn't get called for a sports scholarship assessment - so as far as he's concerned, that's it.

Today we found out he's been offered a place, but without an academic scholarship either. So, sadly, he can't go. We can't afford to pay full fees.

My question to you lovely lot, is firstly would you tell him?

And secondly, is there anything we can do? Is there a scholarship waiting list? Is it worth enquiring about bursaries at this stage? Or should we just turn down the offer, and move on?
Amber

Re: Eltham College - offer but no scholarship

Post by Amber »

Presumably as you applied to a school you knew you couldn't afford, you and he were always aware it was a high-risk strategy, no? I don't think scholarships usually cover much of the fees anyway, do they? If he knew you'd applied, he needs to know he won't be going. I think he is more likely to be concerned about where he is going, so perhaps be ready to sell that to him rather than telling him he has not succeeded at something else.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I can't imagine not having told my DC that going there depended on not having to pay the full fee, were that the case. So I wouldn't have a problem explaining that it was, sadly, a no-go. Perhaps soften the blow by phrasing it that the school just didn't have enough money to help everyone out this year that asked them to?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
blondegirl

Post by blondegirl »

Oh he is absolutely aware that he would only be able to go with a scholarship. That's why when he didn't get asked for a sports assessment, he assumed he'd not be going.

I wasn't very keen on him applying because it was such a risk but he talked me into it as he was very keen. And we always knew the worst-case scenario would be for him to be offered a place without a scholarship. It just seems a bit mean now to say 'well done you passed! but you can't go!'

One of his friends also applied so he might mention that the results are out. If he does, I'll tell him. Otherwise, I might wait for offer day.
turnip08

Post by turnip08 »

Please also do let him know that the bar for the sports scholarship must be incredibly high. My son was invited but I never, in the wildest dreams, thought he would get a scholarship (which he didn't) but I was frankly flabbergasted that some of his friends/acquaintances didn't get anything. We're talking kids who are District level in 1/2 sports plus frequently coming in the top 10 in running and general, strong all-rounders.

I think they only invited 25 for the sports assessment; going by what happens in previous years, only 5 or so get a scholarship but I'm guessing they must have a strong internal cohort this year.

From what I understand, sports scholarships are not worth all that much; academic scholarships can be higher but we're talking the 'creme de la creme'.

Good luck with whatever you/your son decides!
LolaD

Post by LolaD »

From what I understand, sports scholarships are not worth all that much; academic scholarships can be higher but we're talking the 'creme de la creme'.

That's correct, academic scholarships are for the 'creme de la creme' but I understand are more honorary as the financial reductions are largely capped at 50% unless combined with a bursary if eligible. I've only ever heard of one DC who was offered an academic scholarship at 50% but this kid was exceptional.
LolaD

Post by LolaD »

That's correct, academic scholarships are for the 'creme de la creme' but I understand are more honorary as the financial reductions are largely capped at 50% unless combined with a bursary if eligible. I've only ever heard of one DC who was offered an academic scholarship at 50% but this kid was exceptional.
Mittleme

Post by Mittleme »

Thanks for the insight into the sports scholarship palava. I was biting my head off as DS went for sports assessment but got nothing and I kept wondering why.

this is a boy that is district level football and all rounder sports .

yes academic scholarships are more likely but I am just now looking back as my DD got for an indie school 2 years ago. only a backup.
Last edited by Mittleme on Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sla212

Post by Sla212 »

You have to tell him, he'll know that results are due - better to hear it from you than someone else.

Bursaries are applied for when you first apply to sit the exams so I'd think it's too late for that.

The vast majority of children sitting for both selectives and indies do not get in, I think part of the process is making your child aware of this & preparing them. It sounds as though you did this for your son.

Hopefully you have another good option....it's not long till March 1. And there are many ways of supporting a sporty child.

Don't feel mean, he wanted the opportunity & you gave it to him. Good luck!
RedPanda

Post by RedPanda »

Mittleme wrote:Thanks for the insight into the sports scholarship palava. I was biting my head off as DS went for sports assessment but got nothing and I kept wondering why.

this is a boy that is district level football .
I don't know of any sports scholarships in my area that acknowledge the beautiful game which is a shame. Obviously your local schools may have a more open mind on what constitutes an 'acceptable' sport :)

Anyway, from what I have seen, for boys; athletics, rugby and cricket are the common ones. Maybe he fell foul of that?

@OP - Don't feel bad. You took a shot at it because he wanted you to. As it should be. Ultimately he was accepted (nice to feel wanted at that age) and the fact he can't go is nothing to do with him. Good luck.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now